Old 04-06-2013   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
+1 for the green below flaming gorge. My
Favorite multi-day. Clear water and ample numbers of fish make for awesome fact the first section is nicknamed "the aquarium". Definitely bring a fishing rod.

To camp between little hole and Indian crossing, you'll have to show up at LH the day before to grab a campsite permit. Sites in browns park are barely marked and are non-reserve. I don't think you can camp in the wildlife preserve below browns park and above ladore, but I'm not sure on that.

Water flows fluctuate and every spring they try to match the peak of the Yampa to simulate a flash flood down at the confluence. We did a multi-day last year over memorial weekend and the flows when we put on were 5700 and dropping from 7200 earlier that week. You need to be under 5400? (BLM has the exact value) to get under the bridge at Indian crossing...just a heads up.

Oh, and it snowed/rained on us too. Don't totally trust the weather reports for Dutch John.

scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #22
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Oh yeh, I forgot about the bridge at Indian Crossing. From a distance it looks like more clearance than there really is. By the time you get close enough to really determine from the river there is WAY TOO MUCH current to do anything.

We lost one captains seat, two umbrella mounts and a kayak out of our group. I recommend eddy out, walk to the bridge and measure. I nearly cut my wifes head off...

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote