Old 04-05-2009   #1
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Kids Gear

Thinking about taking my two sons 2 and 5 down the San Juan in 2 weeks they love to get on the river and have done many Upper C and Loma trips just always in the summer any ideas for little guys cold weather paddle gear ? Thanks

swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I just have a shorty wetsuit for my six year old. I bring his ski jacket, ski pants, light weight rain shell, windstopper fleece pants and jacket, ski gloves, ski mittens, a couple of hats and anything else that will keep them warm if I get caught in a storm. You can't have too much as I want a change of everything just in case someone falls in goofing off. I also have umbrella mounts on the raft for shade for them. I figure they could hunker down under a umbrella, low in the raft if it got real nasty too.

For your 2 year old, bring anything you can get to keep them warm. All I have is some fleece snowsuits and some snow jacket handme downs from my older son that I plan on useing on my 2 year old daughter when we do ruby this summer. Hopefully by then we will not need such cloths, but I will bring everything just in case. A warm tiny crew is a happy tiny crew!

Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
3 year old on the juan

we just got back from a 3 day trip from bluff to mexican hat. we took our little girl who will be 3 in a couple of weeks. she had been once before, last summer. i had an umbrella for shade or shelter, but never used it. we packed her snowsuit and snow boots, gloves, mittens, warm hats, and blankets. she pretty much lived out of her little long johns all weekend. a warm baby is a happy baby. she had a great time. on friday the wind blew HARD all day. she took a nap on the boat wrapped in a blanket laying on a paco pad! if you are even thinking about packing it, bring it just in case. we never got out her snow suit but it was nice to know that we had it with us.
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote