Old 06-19-2012   #1
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
Kayaking in Utah over July 4th??

I'll be in Salt Lake for a week-ish over the July 4th holiday. Are there any Class III or Class III/IV boating options within a four hour drive (that will likely be running at that time)? Are there any local boaters to paddle with?

I honestly don't know anything about boating in UT so any insights on options would be much appreciated! Thanks!

kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #2
other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994

Only thing flowing local is Hentag. A 2ish kinda run. Murtaugh might still be up and Jackson WY area paddling will be prime - snake river alpine canyon, greys..

Team Esquif
Smurfwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #3
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Pretty dead, but the best boating in Utah is located in a little town called Banks, Idaho. Two wonderful rivers end there, and a rather nice one starts there. This enchanted place is full of wonderful people willing to boat, with hot springs, great food, and beautiful scenery. Drive to Banks man it is worth the trip little further that 4 hours, but not by much. If you speed you can make it in 4 1/2 hours to 5 hours.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Murtaugh Canyon (Cl IV big water, 3.5 hrs drive) and Alpine Canyon of Snake (Cl III, 4 hrs drive) are going to be your best bet. Murtaugh is currently running, but could get cut off at any time.

Locals started a site called last year. It is a good place to try to find SLC area paddlers. I think I have the 4th off, and could probably get out for a day trip.
Duckins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012   #5
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Yep; Murtaugh if it holds; otherwise Jackson is the shortest drive for reliable whitewater; Alpine Canyon is 4 hours away; Greys Snaggletooth for a short high quality IV; free camping at the putin. Maybe Bitch Creek (IV) on the other side of the Tetons.

Its 2:40 to the Green River WY play park, for playboating only (no rapids).
I guess the Green River Daily could be mentioned; by Green River Utah; 3:15 away, for class II-III-.
Banks ID for great IV-V; 6 hours away.

You got me thinking about other local long-shots; a bump in the Ogden to 275-300 would give us the Narrows (IV), with III above and below (last time it was over 95 degrees, irrigation flows brought the Ogden up to 300; but it is way down now). A rain bump could bring up the Eggs bend on the Weber (IV).
Other long shots are Joes Valley and LFH, down by Castle Dale and Huntington. The Joes Valley reservoir level is dropping now, so its not going to spill. But if irrigation flows could break ~230, it would be worth it. I see it just bumped to 190. Wishing for 250+... man its so different from last years high water.
Emery Water Conservancy District: Cottonwood
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote