Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-17-2009   #1
Kayaking in Costa Rica, Peru and Chile in February '10

I'm planning on going to these countries between mid Jan 2010 and through March. Would it be better to start south in chile and work my way back up to Costa Rica in terms of water levels? Any recommendations?

I'm going to rent boats and gear while I'm there so, again, any recmmendations?

GunnyPaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #2
Justin, A good time to be in Chile is no earlier than January assuming you want to paddle to Futa. The dry season in Costa also begins around January. It can be hard to gauge but generally you want to paddle Costa in the "dry" season as the "rainy" season can dump endless amounts of rain making stuff to high to run. I would go to Costa Rica the first of Feb. and work your way south. Check out flights from San Juan-Quito and squeeze some Ecuador in on the trip. Will definitely be worth you're while and logistically it's easier than Peru. Let me know if you want more information on Ecuador. Keep in mind that Costa Rica, Peru, and Chile are all very far apart. If you hit Costa in Feb. you should get to Chile and if they have had a good stout snowpack, there should be water well into late March/April. Hope this helps, sounds sick. Would love to go back. Josh

Shoot me an e-mail as I have contacts for boat rentals in all of those places.

StoneCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009   #3
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
If you go to Costa Rica tag along with Rios Tropicales when going down the Pacuare river. Their lodge half way down is a great place to stay for one night. Also if you're looking for the best white water the Atlantic side is your best bet
C12Charles.Nobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #4
Leadvillian, Colorado
you might try reading up a little on these places before you set off

all three have a pretty good guidebook... CR - Chasing Jaguars, Peru has an online guide at Peruwhitewater, and Tyler Curtis wrote a book about Chile - Kayak Futa or something

There's good boating in CR year round, Peru has only a short dry season in sept. and oct., and the fu is snow melt - they're having a fest in the next week or so and I would be that probably coincides with pretty good levels

personally, I would probably plan the trip around good flows on the fu and would definately hit ecuador and maybe the david area of panama and the cangrahal in honduras and maybe the cahabon in guatemala depending on when you go

good luck
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009   #5
Denver, Colorado
In my travels and opinions I have found the following:

Chile-if you want to go creeking in Pucon youll be pissed if you get there in January. Futaleufu gets good when Pucon drops out. If you like creeking DO NOT miss Pucon and be there November and December. Futa afterward.

Costa Rica is great from October thru December but starts to drop after that as well. The boating is cool but it is hard to get around and really expensive, although it is the same with Chile except in Pucon area there is an incredible wealth of creeks in a relatively small area. I think that you want higher water in Costa Rica, the rivers can use it. Went there a few years back in December and Jan and it was low, gettting lower, consider earlier.

Peru is the absolute shit! Peru Whitewater is a good guide, can provide you some information on some easy, really cheap self support trips of a lifetime. There is also good creeking near Macchu Picchu, 1/2 day from Cuzco. Leave Peru mid to late Nov as is starts to rain there and everything gets blown out. Fun stuff, cheap as hell, cant say enough good things except the girls could be hotter.

Ecuador is good in Nov thru Jan, very easily accessible, cheap rivers. A good, well travelled friend said "the highest concentration of easily accessible high quality whitewater in the world." you can argue if you want but there is no doubt that it is cheap, easy to get around and there are a ton of rivers in a country the size of Colorado and it will be good the entire time you want to be travelling.

Have fun!
bwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009   #6
Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
Go to Chile as early as possible! This January things were on the way out in Pucon! Still some options when things are dry, but not nearly enough. The Futa is amazing, don't miss it!!! You should ditch the Costa Rica idea, and go to Ecuador instead, it's way better!!!!!!

progers is offline   Reply With Quote

chile, costa rica, kayaking