Old 10-12-2010   #11
st.gallen, switzerland
Paddling Since: 2006
wow....lots of information! thanks chip, I will check the websites if I have time!
thanks a lot!

vada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #12
Pucon Chile Paddling Since: 1990
Pucon Kayak Hostel has boats, beds, camping...

Here's the link to Pucon Kayak Hostel.

This is my place that has been developing for the past 5 years. We now have a fleet of 50 kayaks, 80% of the fleet are 2009-2010 models.

Three months: Wow! you get to do the dream tour. Let me see if I can make a few points based on 12 years of Chile logistics and observations.

A. How much do you want to travel dilemma? I have seen a lot of folks plan 3 months of multiple country destinations that die out around a month and a half due to: run out of $$$, group falls apart, or burn out. Recommendations: have a tight crew, stay longer at your best destinations.

B. Demshitz example- Demshitz crew comes to Pucon year after year. They run the great runs when they are in, when they get bored they take road trips, they research first descents and share fantastic videos with the community, and they work jobs in Pucon. As far as I can tell they are excited to return year after year.
There are also plenty of people who spend their entire Chile season working on the Maipo or on the Futa.

C. Buying a vehicle- I fly to Santiago on Friday and will be buying two vehicles for New River Academy and Pucon Kayak Hostel: a Suburban and Astrovan. Yes, you will need a RUT # (your temp social security number). I highly recommend hiring someone that knows their stuff to help you purchase. My guy Agustin has helped me for 6 years now with paperwork and vehicles. Years ago he saved me thousands as a Chilean car dealer tried to cheat me and Agustin's mechanic caught the hidden bad motor for me. The cheat offered the mechanic $1,000 to help sale me the van.
if you need help purchasing your vehicle then email me and I will introduce you to Agustin who lives in the Santiago area.
Agustin buys all the vehicles for the Cascadas de las Animas eco-resort (oldest eco-tourism company and large Chilean rafting and kayaking family near Santiago).
FYI- Agustin also helps me sale my vehicles when all the kayakers finish trashing them.
Tip- Never buy a vehicle from a kayaker.

D. Renting Kayaks- send me an email and I will send you a list of our creek and play boat fleet. Three months is a long time for rental. I have some old creek boats that I would sale. You might be better off buying new or used. Since, rental rates are typically $20/day. Based on your length of stay I think most kayak renters would cut you a deal. But again, I think you are better off flying with or buying a creek boat.
Link to the Kayak Rentals page:

E. Flying with a Creek boat- I am trying it Friday via American Airlines. Wish me luck. We ship down about 15 annually as part of our aim to create the best kayak fleet in South America. I don't know if Pucon Kayak Hostel is there yet, but it is a quality group of kayaks that have been invested in for the community.

F. Destinations: depending on where you want to go I would be happy to share with you some fantastic Chilean family owned and kayaker friendly hosterias. Basic timeline:
November- everything is going off. Hit the stuff north of Pucon first as it is warmer up there: Maipo, Yesso, Seven Teacups, Nuble, Achibueno, Los Quenes area...
Pucon will be going off too but it is colder and rainier. You will have as many options as you want from any skill level.

December- I love Pucon during December and the Futa is still too high.

Jan/Feb- as you approach drier months your options begin to reduce to Maipo area, Los Quenes area, Pucon, and Futa areas. The beauty of Pucon is when it is raining it has more options than anywhere in South America, and when it is dry then it and the Futa are the only options.

Feb/March- Pucon and Futa areas. Pucon begins limited to Liucura play hole, Upper and Lower Trancura, and the Palguin. Futa is fantastic at this time of year.

For more information feel free to email me. I will be happy to assist in anyway and introduce you to the right people.

Keep Kayaking.
Pucon Kayak Hostel

gohuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #13
Los Quenes, Curico, Chile
Paddling Since: 1993
Send a message via MSN to Todd Send a message via Skype™ to Todd
Couple quick points.
Buy a car in Santiago or Curico (where I may be able to help a little) and run the rivers as you head south. Get a boat from Ian have him send it or set up a rendezvous point in Santiago, Rio Maipo or Los Quenes (can help here too). Buy the Kayak Chile guidebook. Talk to Ben in Pucon,
Email me or stop by and I can send you in the right direction.
Todd C. Ericson
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #14
My name is ian garcia, i live down here full time and run the distribution for the country. What i can say is that the easiest way for a trip of this amount of time would be to buy a car and buy boats. If you can afford. Rental of a car maybe come out cheaper depending on who you go through. As far as boats go. Rentals would be rediculous. They ask for 20 bucks a day, and some time discounts for longer term. The suggestion i would have is to buy a boat more or less us retail, and then resell, resell value is good here.

For any questions feel free to send me an email

Ian Garcia

jomama is offline   Reply With Quote

chile, kayaking