Kayaking and social media - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-16-2016   #1

Kayaking and social media

Kayaking and social media - Through The Fog - Kayaking And Social Media - Unsponsored

unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016   #2

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
I can only assume the backlash about the topic is because it strikes a nerve with the younger generation who grew up with social media, and have been hearing the negatives of it all their life from parents, grandparents, aunt, uncles and basically anyone from a generation prior to them. I also agree that social media can be a terrible influence at times and it's important to not let it rule you. I also enjoy that there is a community that makes the sport more easily accessible. I can't imagine I would have met nearly as many people without it, and found great adventures out on the river had I not had a place to find like minded individuals in my area.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #3

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Despite the negatives, social media has provided a platform for the non-professional paddles like myself to network and organize trips.

And for the pro/ folks wanting to get paid to kayak. It gives them a place to shamelessly promote themselves in a way that hopefully provides entertainment to the viewer. I like watching kayaking movies and seeing posts in my news feed about what people are running. I also see the overdramatic and falsely sensational narratives in films like chasing nigra as well as the promotional narratives that are spun to promote these products on sites like facebook.

Either way, sites like Facebook are here to stay so it is up to the user to choosing how they want to use them.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016   #4

L-burg, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Fantastic. And a discussion that badly needs to happen. Though I'm not entirely certain whom it needs to happen with or whether it might prove important. Or maybe a discussion that has been happening for a long time, though at slightly different trajectories and amongst slightly different people. Or perhaps people of a slightly different trajectory.

So but to expand (slightly, with a slightly off-centered trajectory from the unsponsored post) like aside from FOMO or misrepresented and psychologically manipulated motivations (the instrinsic/extrinsic discussion), and then aside from the danger of living in "Bad Faith" (to linguistically abuse that raving French lunatic who once upon a time in a galaxy far far away whispered the word existentialism), or but then the positives or negatives of being, in the end, a mere tool of the market,

Social Media,

with like a capital S capital M, makes it nearly impossible to gaze directly at the Thing Itself (capital T capital I), and see it for what it is.

Social Media makes it nearly impossible to gaze directly at the Thing Itself and see it for what it is. (Remember Lars Holbek's unforgettable words: "To run a river throw the guidebook away.")

So like, say, the way a child might pick up an alien mechanical device and examine the workings with a sort of childlike wonder. The operative word being wonder. Like that of a child. Which, initially--

Initially (with a capital I)--

used to be more of a driving motivational source. To see it. Not to be driven either internally or externally by forces within or beyond or without our control. No. Just to see it.

Be moved by it. Move in it. And but then move it in better. Become part of it.

Long ago, I mean.

Instead, submerged in a sort of sleepless arcade of meaning blips, we find that upon finally achieving the river, sleepily, probably, having driven 36 hours to get there--say, our first experience through the Grand Canyon, in the form of some sort of cellophaned and packaged deal through REI or maybe ADVENTURES ON THE.... [I'm not picking fun, just whatever]--there is something horribly wrong. There is something horribly wrong with our conscious experience of the Trip (capital T).

The great thing yawning open around us somehow eludes us. Or perhaps we begin to measure our satisfaction by some kind of preformed symbolic complex already alive and growing and emerging as a kind of force in our evolving brains. Amongst the barrage of meaning blips it doesn't really look like the commercial! As if instead of confronting the Thing Itself (capital T capital I), maybe something like the Grand Canyon of the Colorado or even something much smaller and more intimate like the NFT in central VA, we are instead confronting the symbolic complex constructed by Social Media (capital S capital M), which in my darker moods is mostly driven by

big companies trying to sell me shit.

But not always. Big Companies. Don't here think always. Not in the least always. I mean I'm not a Luddite, man. (Though I'm a fan of their decendants like Ellul and Postman.)

So but anyway right. Walker Percy takes a look at possible insulin injections for this very problem in an essay from 1975 called, THE LOSS OF THE CREATURE. Because, as Percy begins: "Every explorer names his island Formosa, beautiful. To him it is beautiful because, being first, he has access to it and can see it for what it is. But to no one else is it ever as beautiful--except the rare man who manages to recover it, who knows that it has to be recovered."

So fantastic! Keep going. Keep thinking about it. It's a good thing to consider.
Uncle Skwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Don't forget, Facebook, Tweeter, live television, etc. are all optional. If they dominate your world the weakness is yours - turn that shit off. My friends are in person, my adventures outside, and the business I do is face-to-face. I see very little benefit to Facebooking. You waste your time, spend less time in the present, and focus on image and ego too much. Turn it off and live in the now!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #6

Golden, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Don't forget, Facebook, Tweeter, live television, etc. are all optional. If they dominate your world the weakness is yours - turn that shit off. My friends are in person, my adventures outside, and the business I do is face-to-face. I see very little benefit to Facebooking. You waste your time, spend less time in the present, and focus on image and ego too much. Turn it off and live in the now!

Says the guy with 2400+ posts on a forum.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
Says the guy with 2400+ posts on a forum.
Yep, I've participated in Mountain Buzz for over ten years now. Lots of great discussion on here and it's been cool to learn and discuss in a forum of like-minded folk. Of course, MB is optional too, and it doesn't get in the way of my living life. It's also generally not a self-promotion tool, but a trip planning, equipment reviewing, learning/teaching arena.

IMHO, Facebook is much different - and I see it wasting a lot of time for a lot of people, so it's not for me. The rise of the electronic ego is everywhere. Just go boating, without a video camera, without posting it, and see how it feels!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016   #8

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Yep, I've participated in Mountain Buzz for over ten years now. Lots of great discussion on here and it's been cool to learn and discuss in a forum of like-minded folk. Of course, MB is optional too, and it doesn't get in the way of my living life. It's also generally not a self-promotion tool, but a trip planning, equipment reviewing, learning/teaching arena.

IMHO, Facebook is much different - and I see it wasting a lot of time for a lot of people, so it's not for me. The rise of the electronic ego is everywhere. Just go boating, without a video camera, without posting it, and see how it feels!
Of course there are FB pages which are also great for this as well. Better in my opinion, but yeah, it can also have a lot of bad aspects too.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking