Old 04-12-2015   #21
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Kayaking and Risk

Simply put, there's risk in living.

Some of us find more reward than others in those risks, but that does not necessarily make us reckless or careless with our lives. Others may find solace in paddling to express an element of control over other aspects in their lives, both are therapeutic.

I admit to being nervous most anytime I paddle. Often for myself and others I paddle with. It's not that I am a hard charger, but I realize that strange things can happen and that variables change every day. That perception of risk itself makes me more in tune with the present. As I paddle that nervousness begins to wash away to something remarkable though, an intimate interaction with the river and those around me. Few things make me appreciate the simplest of things in life or make me feel more connected than a day on the water. I think part of it is facing fears, wether rational or irrational, prepares us for our daily lives and helps us face other challenges, and at other times it just keeps things from getting too dull.

"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015   #22
Jenks, Oklahoma
WW boating is like sky diving in that something can happen out of the ordinary and the person dies in seconds or minutes. Not much time to do what ever it takes to avoid injury or worse.

I am not saying that a person can not control the risk factor. They can to some degree.

But sometimes shit happens and the person pays the price no matter how safety conscious they think they are .

If a person does any dangerous sport year after year, I believe the risk factor gets higher and higher no matter how much the person thinks they are immune from injury or death.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #23
Raleigh, North Carolina
This was just posted on Boatertalk. Maybe it will help.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
rivermunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #24
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by rivermunkey View Post
This was just posted on Boatertalk. Maybe it will help.
Obviously did not read the thread. Look at post #7.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015   #25
White R. BC
Durango, Colorado
Good thread, we always need a reminder of the risk in our endeavors and how we assess it. It is good you are aware of this early in your kayaking life and what I assume is your life in general. Even when, or especially when your impulse control is not fully formed. One caution I would make in your risk assessment is to not buy into the saccrine pabulum that you will die doing something you love. No, to use the skiing analogy, she died because lots avalanching snow crushed her against a tree. She died in agony and flashes of searing pain.

Or in kayaking terms, fighting to get out of your boat and get a breath totally immersed in liquid. Or in a wheelchair, older after you landed that huge falls wrong. You wont love it in your last moments, as far as we know. The heuristics of avy safety are appropriate: peer pressure, accompanying experts, familiarity with the run, etc., are cautions we need to be aware of. Make it your study. For a long time. Have fun!

ag3dw is offline   Reply With Quote