Old 04-10-2015   #11
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
My wife is a religious woman (catholic) and tries to go to church at least once a week. I am not a religious person but she sees how much skiing, fishing, river, etc means to me. Flying through an aspen glade on skis at speeds that would rival a goshawk, using only my intuition, muscle memory, ability, and years of practice is my meditation, just like church is that for my wife. My brain turns off work, bills, kid, money, stress, etc and only focuses on me making the gap between the next set of trees, nothing else. There is a Buddhist monk who comes skiing here from time to time, and he compares skiing to meditation and says its almost one in the same. Same can be said for running a river, mountain biking, sky diving, etc.

So we may be the 1% of the population that puts more risk on your lives by tearing down a snow covered mountain or cascading down a mountain creek, and most think we are insane, but to us its a Tuesday, its our meditation, our AA meeting, stress reducer, vice, death wish, what ever you want to call!

As someone commented above, as I get older I talk about these things less, and am becoming more humble. Just like church to my wife is one of the most personal/spiritual aspects of her life, she does not talk about it or preach it to others. Something to be said about that and something I am still learning.

SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #12
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Exercise, meditation, flow state, motor skill development, an intimate dance with one of the most powerful and humbling forces on earth, access to remote wilderness areas and epic geology, a community that will literally put their life on the line for each other. Run a big rapid and the anti-depressant will work all week long. Without it I'm lost.

The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #13
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
Exercise, meditation, flow state, motor skill development, an intimate dance with one of the most powerful and humbling forces on earth, access to remote wilderness areas and epic geology, a community that will literally put their life on the line for each other. Run a big rapid and the anti-depressant will work all week long. Without it I'm lost.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
This is a common problem. You love kayaking, you want to share your stoke, and others don't understand and think you are crazy. The harder you try to explain how much you thrive on the adrenaline the less they will understand and the more they will think you are crazy.

I've learned the hard way that this doesn't work and will never work. I talk about kayaking not in terms of risk, class V, or adrenaline, but in terms of outdoor beauty, exploration, comradarie and friendships, and a hobby that provides a mental, physical and spiritual stimulation that I need to stay whole. I try to steer conversations away from risk and craziness.

Couple of thoughts... it won't help to show pictures and videos and try to get folks to understand what you do. The people that understand you are other kayakers. Share you amp stories with paddlers on trips or at the takeout or on shuttle. When you get home... you had a fun time, saw a bald eagle, and had an enjoyable paddle. This is a tough pill to swallow. It means that some folks who are close to you might never fully understand you. My wife has eventually come around after a decade that I need to paddle and I will paddle. On the path to that understanding were many misunderstandings about risk etc.

Also... the whole driving is more dangerous than kayaking is bogus. I know more people who have died kayaking than from all other things combined. Kayaking is dangerous. This line of conversation won't likely work for you.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #15
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
This is part of the reason that after 10 years of yakin' I decided to buy a raft. To share the stoke with my friends and family.
SKeen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #16
We all have are own and likely different perceptions of risk. Even having boated whitewater for a long time, I wouldn't do what is thought of as "progressing" in the sport these days.

Here's an article that revels those different attitudes:
Good Driver Discount

And here's another that shows how our own assessment can change when we look at our experiences differently:
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #17
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Is it possible that you don't understand your parents concern because you yourself are not a parent? I did tons of risky stuff in my 20's and 30's and less in my 40's after becoming a parent. I rarely kayak anymore because of lack of time, and I tend to raft a ton more because I enjoy the trips. Assessing risk is a very complicated thing, both science and art. Many very good kayakers have died pushing themselves. They thought the risk was both measurable and reasonable. Unfortunately, it can very quickly go the wrong way once you are in the shit. From your post it says you have been paddling since 2013. That is probably not enough time to competently assess your risk. That is also likely why your parents show concern. Just don't be an Aaron Ralston.

As for not understanding DTHURBS said it beautifully. No one really cares about your kayaking trip unless they are a boater. I stopped talking about my trips years ago. Keep on keepin on!
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Seems like you are combining a couple of different ideas in your question.

Idea 1) Is kayaking dangerous? Kayaking can be safe or dangerous or in between depending on how you do it. Around Colorado I just compare it to skiing because most people understand that. You can go down some green runs in the area with some kids and old ladies (fairly safe), or backcountry down exposed 60 degree heli accessed lines in Alaska (fairly dangerous). The danger is also relative to your skill and preparation.

Idea 2) You do the dangerous kayaking - why do you do that? Harder, more philosophical question of course. I think the most interesting question here is, if something terrible happened to you - death, paralyzed, debilitating brain injury, etc. - would you regret your actions, or would you say it's still worth it? Reminds me of the current football debate. There's obvious serious long term repercussions for many pro football players and some say it was all worth it and they'd do it again and some say if they'd known the consequences they wouldn't do it or wouldn't tell their children to do it.

My take is that whatever you do in life someone will criticize you, so decide for yourself how you want to live yours. Determine whose opinions you respect and listen to those people. Ignore the others.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #19
Steamboat, Colorado
I'm not sure where I heard this one, but I have it floating around on a sticky note by my desk:

"The risks and adventures are the salt of life; an over-safe, monotonous living takes away the taste, the emotions of life."
It's a good day to be a duck....
soggy_tortillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015   #20
Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Risks vs regrets

Risks vs regrets
I prefer taking small risks of an early demise so I could have the experience of running Gore canyon, crystal gorge, and the middle fork of the salmon.
To living to be 90 and looking back at a life with no story/experience.

Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote