Old 04-06-2011   #41
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Leif I know you were just messing around, just pissed me off cause I really don't want a virgin narrows shit show in Wyoming... people need to understand its not the most friendly of places for any beginner creeker because of the mental commitment factor...apology accepted..

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #42
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Wooo! The grievances have been forgotten!

My two cents: Leif, you have been boating so long I think you under rate some shit. Possibly you forget what that rapid looks like to someone who hasn't been boating for over a decade.

I agree with Mike, that is a bad place for newbies. The big one would have me gripped, and I wouldn't call myself a newbie. Maybe if you could portage, or even scout, but still.

Annd I am losing my train of thought. The Varun looks cool!

smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #43
Originally Posted by Lin3Dawg View Post
Gonna stay out of this. Just want to bump back to top. Sick of all the rafting crap.
Insert obligatory request for a rafter specific forum.

And even though it's definitely ski season I'm getting AMPED FOR KAYAK SEASON!
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #44
Bozeman, Montana
Spencer, No matter how long one boates, it doesn't prepare them for that which they don't know of or see...
Old 04-06-2011   #45
The Bitterroot, Montana
hey mike what was Quake @ in your Quake n Bake vid?
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #46
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Mike, thanks for accepting my apology. It really means a lot. I don't care what people say about me when they're just having fun, but I've been feeling pretty crappy knowing that you were genuinely pissed off.

You're right, there is a lot going on just under the surface of that rapid, and it is a very committing spot. I had an easy day and just assumed that meant that there was no danger. I should be more humble.

I think that my definition of a "beginning creeker" could actually be called a "skilled paddler" by some, since I am pretty arrogant. For example, Tom Janney still has a couple seasons of roll practice to go before I'm willing to call him a beginner. I might go back and add a little more of a warning to the blog. Thanks again for cluing us in to that run.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #47
Bozeman, Montana
Huck its running same flow now. 1060 you want to hit a lap I have Thursday, friday, Sat off... going try to go riding tomarrow with little bro, than gally lap, Friday or Sat be best for me...
Leif ill show you sweet play spot about 30 mins from Fremont. No worries man
Old 04-06-2011   #48
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Wasatch front is still going off((over a month now). All the locals are on at record or near record flows. That oughta answer the 10 hour question. World class surfing at the Riverdale wave in Ogden. Digging the way this season is headed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0403.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	3414  
God Bless SKA Brewery-Sturgeon General
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #49
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by leif View Post
Phil, the challenge is here: Ft Collins trip planning the last post in the thread. We're already missed the day, so I'll just assume you forfeited. Unless...
Ahh, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, again. Life and a crashed computer conspired to save you from my sharp wit.

Anyway, what the hey, a guy can't even get insulting around here without getting called out. Doode, I'm an antique. I'm probably older than yer parents fer chrisesakes. You know, like I'm started on my seventh decade. You're s'posed to bow down to my decrepitudinallity.

In this culture, when it comes to actual battle, usually the old guys get to talk the big trash and then send the young guys off to do the bleeding. I would talk to Dustin about representing but he's busy raising babies. But, since I'm actually attached to the concept of honor, and you've challenged me to a duel, how about we race from the #4 putin to the #5 takeout on the Ark. However, since I'm certainly more than twice yer age, and prolly half yer height, and yer on the water during whitewater comps and I'm on the banks, I'm sure you'll agree that some sort of a handicapping is in order. You could paddle blindfolded or... you could give me a 5 minute head start or... (I'm trying to be reasonable here) you could hand paddle a playboat or... you could paddle backwards. Oh, and we have to paddle at ELF levels since that's prolly our main thing in common paddling. That and I can't be getting winded and running #5 at 3000 cfs. Too bad cuz that would be *the* event at Paddlefest. Oh yeah, and if I swim you have to rescue me...

Well, I'm off to work again but I'll check for your response at lunch. Unless, of course, you're out to lunch.
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #50
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.......put the "swords" away kids....

....leif is ALWAYS out to lunch.....postin'mike, put the "sword" away....he understands you know the river hazard to check that place out sometime....looks beautiful and kayaking is better with BIG WALLS.... milozasword wishecouldski 420 cb.....

milo is offline   Reply With Quote