Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011   #11
San Juan Pirate
No Name, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
He had run the upper drops above the caldron with little trouble. While entering the caldron he rolled once. When he came up he could not turn his boat and became pinned in the 4 ft. exit slot with his body facing up river. They had safety in place. He was not able to exit the boat. A member of the party had to jump on the boat to free it and him. Cpr was attempted for quite some time. The autopsy that was performed today shows head trauma to the back of his head below the helmet. There was no visible sign of a head injury on scene. There were a lot of people involved in the attempted rescue and everything was done to try and help save him. My heart goes out to the family and friends.
"All rivers, even the most dazzling, those that catch the sun in their course, all rivers go down to the ocean and drown. And life awaits man as the sea awaits the river."
Simone Schwarz-Bart
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #12
caspermike's Avatar
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,507
Condolences to all involved and the family!

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #13
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 646
It must be tough on the rescuers.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #14
stankboat's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 39
thanks hotlava. prayers for you and David's family.
stankboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #15
Nutrioso, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2001
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Trip report.

Durango Colorado
4th of July Weekend, 2011
In Memory of Kevin Bair
by Jens Jensen

A group of us had been contemplating a trip to the Kern River in Southern California for the 4th of July. Several of us wanted to do the Forks of the Kern, a class IV/V run. Water levels were too high, so the trip was changed to Durango Colorado.

A few people traveled earlier in the week and the rest of us came up Friday evening. We camped at Cascade Creek, north of Durango. Kevin Bair and I were originally planning on driving together to California. After switching destinations, Kevin offered to drive to meet me in Nutrioso so that I wouldn't have to ride up by myself. I talked him out of it as it would have him driving four hours by himself to keep me from driving five hours by myself. But that was Kevin.

We did the Upper Animas on Saturday. It's a 26 mile, Class IV/V, very cold, challenging run. The final 2 miles are in a tight canyon (called the Rockwood Box) which is particularly challenging. The box is often avoided by riding out on the train or hiking out on the railroad tracks.

A group of 8 of us did the first 24 miles together and in spite of a few swims, had a great time. I spent most of the day in my favorite boating configuration, with Ryan ahead to help me find a good line and Kevin behind to save me. Kevin as usual, was ready at the rescue and was essential in collecting people and boats.

Most of us were quite tired that day before starting. Kevin was particularly tired having worked hard to get everything done before the trip and completing a major test at midnight the night before. He got a B on the test by the way.

Johanna Nylen and I had purchased train tickets at Ryan Fair's recommendation the day before. Via some confused logistics we both managed to catch the train out to Rockwood. The rest of the group except Pete Traylor also decided to skip the Rockwood box after we left. They negotiated a train ride for their boats and hiked out on the tracks. Pete met a another group of friends and did the Rockwood Box with them. Kevin commented later that he was kicking himself for missing out on that opportunity.

On Sunday a group of six of us headed up to South Mineral Creek. Kevin, Pete and I rode up in my truck. Ryan, Johanna and Jim McComb rode up in Ryan's truck. We were all aware that this was Class V. Kevin, Pete, and Ryan suited up. The rest of us had no intention of attempting this run.

We scouted and planned for quite some time before anyone put on the water. The run is less than 1/2 mile long. It begins with a 20 foot waterfall followed by a series of four or five pool drops, then a tight S turn slot with a small narrow pool called the Cauldron with an exit gap approximately 6 feet wide. It continues on for another quarter mile of less significant drops after the slot.

After we all walked and discussed the entire route several times, I helped Pete and Kevin rope their boats down to the entrance pool above the waterfall. Ryan said that he just wasn't feeling like this was for him for today and opted out. I asked Kevin if he was okay, and although looking nervous, he said that he was - and that he had run harder stuff than this before. He just needed to get his head straight first. He was grinning when he said that he had to admit though, that he was a bit jazzed to be running something that Ryan chickened out on.

Ryan and Johanna set up to take pictures on an outcrop in front of the waterfall. I stationed myself with a throw rope at the top of the S turn slot. Jim McComb was at the exit gap with ropes. He tied one rope off to rocks prior to the runs.

A group of locals were coming down the hill to do the run behind us, but hadn't arrived when Pete and Kevin began their runs. Pete did a clean line off the waterfall, matching the consensus route. Kevin took the waterfall to the left, doing a quick correction just before dropping off. A look at the pictures shows that Kevin was off of the planned line - but the waterfall drop was successful.

Both Pete and Kevin looked good for the stretch for which I had a view. Their lines looked clean and almost identical. Pete went first. We passed OK signals back to Kevin after Pete cleared the slot.

After Kevin disappeared from my view I gathered my rope and several of Kevin's things that I was carrying including a water bottle, his pogeys, and his skull cap. After climbing up a few feet I spotted Kevin's boat upside down in the gap. I dropped everything and started running to Jim's position.

I learned later that Kevin overcorrected a right brace causing him to roll to the left at the bottom of the slot. He did a quick roll which also rotated him 90 putting him in parallel with the gap and horizontal to the flow. Just as he got upright, he pinned nose to tail across the gap with his upstream edge down. The current immediately flipped him to his right. Kevin's upper body shifted to the downstream side, although the boat remained firmly pinned upside down with Kevin locked in. We're not sure if he ever managed to catch a breath after flipping. He did find the rope that Jim lowered. He dropped it once. He then found it again and managed to wrap it around his arm 2 or 3 times and lock-it with his hand.

Ryan and I arrived about the same time and joined Jim in pulling the rope. Three of us pulling with all our might didn't manage to budge the boat, or get Kevin to air. I did see his face once, briefly shimmering ghostlike in the water a few inches below the surface.

Ryan realized this wasn't working and left to attempt to approach from the pool below. Jim and I kept working the rope. We readjusted the rope a bit to the left at one point in order to try to improve the leverage. In releasing the tension slightly, I felt Kevin take up the slack. A short time later, Kevin finally ran out of air and released the rope.

Pete and Ryan were trying to reach Kevin from pool below. I gathered the rope and tossed one end to Pete. We weren't able to drag him up to the boat due to the pull angle and swiftness of the current.

One of the local boys then appeared before me on the opposite side of the gap. He shouted for me to lower him down. He stretched across the gap and I grabbed his hand and pulled him across. I then lowered him down to the boat with one hand while he held Jim's rope with the other. This young man's actions were truly heroic. He jumped up and down on the boat for quite some time unsuccessfully. At some point Kevin's broken right leg floated to the surface flapping in the current.

The young man finally knocked the boat loose with a push kick off the far side of the gap. He went into the water with the boat. Kevin floated out of the boat and was quickly dragged to shore. Ryan, Pete and others started CPR right away. One young woman (from the group of locals) was a nurse and the other was an EMT. They all continued working on Kevin, taking turns breathing and pumping until emergency services arrived.

I ran up the hill to call 911 but there was not cell service. After turning the truck around I met Johanna who retrieved her phone and we headed down the road. We found cell service after about 5 miles. A forest service truck and the County sheriff met us within about 10 minutes. We led them to the site where they assisted with rescue efforts. An ambulance arrived sometime after that.

It was reported to me by the folks doing CPR that Kevin never showed any signs of life after being released from his boat. He involuntarily coughed up water and stomach fluids after about 10 minutes of pumping, but never blinked or twitched. Kevin's sister said that the coroner's report told that Kevin had a star shaped contusion above one eye. Since it wasn't swollen, it may have been post-mortem.

I think that if he could, Kevin would look at this tragedy with his engineering mind and try to figure out what safety lessons could be drawn. It is so ironic - that Kevin was such a safety nanny to everyone he boated with. And naturally, all of us involved (and many of Kevin's other boating friends) have studied and discussed the sequence of events in an effort to understand what happened and what could have been done to avoid Kevin's death.

Even though we all felt that Kevin was capable of making this run, he didn't successfully complete it. I personally think that the lesson is that even if you (and others) consider yourself to be a Class V boater, you can't count on boating at a Class V level when you are tired and you haven't been on the water in a few weeks. Class V boating by definition has very little room for mistakes, and any mistake can be fatal.

We are all devastated. Kevin's kindness, generosity, and genuine concern for everyone's safety and well-being touched many lives. We are heartbroken to lose him.
AZEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #16
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 700
I'm so sorry for what you experienced

my prayers are with all of you.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #17
ilanarama's Avatar
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 85
Thank you very much for posting the detailed report, which must have been hard to write. My sympathy to you and the rest of Kevin's friends and family.
ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #18
no tengo
mania's Avatar
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,768
Thanks for sharing Jens. I met some of your very nice crew Saturday at Tacoma I was the one who offered to bring their kayaks to Rockwood on the train. sorry things turned out like they did. It sounds like your crew and locals made every effort possible given that it was a hard pin. I and some others here have been on the scene of a river fatality and it is truly one of the worst things, no way around it. my sincerest condolences to all.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011   #19
Louisville, Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 520
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #20
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22
Thank you for posting this account and for sharing a little piece of your friend with us. So sorry for you, all his friends and family.

Hope Floats 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
south mineral steven Whitewater Kayaking 2 06-16-2007 10:55 AM
South Mineral?? Alberto Whitewater Kayaking 6 10-06-2006 05:07 PM
South Mineral d.e. Whitewater Kayaking 5 05-25-2006 11:31 AM
South Mineral creek dsteaves Whitewater Kayaking 4 07-12-2005 05:48 PM
Kayaker fatality in California Kris M Whitewater Kayaking 0 06-23-2005 11:55 AM

» Classified Ads
Used Pyranha 9R...

posted by Rendezvous River Sports


*!* Pyranha S6 200 with...

posted by MaxwellSilverKayak

Pyranha S6 200 playboat for sale. Great for larger...

Dagger Mamba 7.6 Red

posted by Rendezvous River Sports

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.