Want Ads
Industry Jobs
Place an Ad

Old 06-30-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Kayak-specific first aid suggestions?

Hey All-

I'm trying to put together a kayaking first aid kit, and was wondering if folks have suggestions for kayaking specific stuff that you've found really helpful that might not be in a standard first aid kit (and isn't too huge- it's got to fit in my playboat after all!)

Of course I have duct tape and super glue... what else do I need?

Thanks, and happy paddling,
Allison

Old 07-01-2011   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A couple of 40s and some beef jerky!

Old 07-01-2011   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
If you're good the duct tape and super glue is all you need but a couple of triangle bandages, an Ace bandage or that self sticking elastic wrap, and a few 4x4's or some femenin napkins are good to have. Shove it in a small dry bag and or wide mouth 1 liter water bottle. I've carried one of decades and only had to use it a couple of times.
Old 07-01-2011   #4
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
A couple of 40s and some beef jerky!
That right there is funny. LOL.
Old 07-01-2011   #5

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Prob the best thing you can have in a kit is the super thin Maxi pads. Great at absorbing blood and comes with a built in plastic layer to protect from nasty germs (assuming they aren't your own that is).
Old 07-01-2011   #6

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Whiskey vs 40's (2 handles if you have room). More bang per ounce of medicine. Professional opinion, absorbing blood is less important than pressure to stop the bleeding . If you use maxipads or ABD pads instead of bandanas you are hosed if they get wet before you need them and they are very limited as far as use. Also, bandanas can be rinsed and reused as necessary. Just my $0.02
My personal kit includes 50 ft duct tape, 3 bandanas, small bottle with mixture of pills (tylenol, 2-4 heavy duty pain meds, ibuprofen, benadryl) (I add nausea medicine and immodium for overnights and longer trips) epi-pen, a few bandaids, sam splint. On longer trips, I bring a small bottle of soap in case I need to wash something out. CPR mask. 100 ft 550 P-cord. This all fits in a small bag to keep it tight in my dry bag. I also carry a small tarp or emergency bivy sack, water purifying pills, and fire starting materials just in case it turns epic.
My kit costs about 20 bucks to put together minus the epi-pen. I dont always have heavy duty pain meds, depends on the last time I had to go to Dr. with something jacked up.
Old 07-01-2011   #7

Shit Creek, Colorado
Oops, forgot to ad, this all fits in a small drybag in my small playboat.
Allison, I would advise against super glue unless you have clean water (potable is fine, doesnt have to be boiled) and soap to scrub a river wound well before you close it up.
Old 07-01-2011   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I would advise a kit that looks like this: What's in your pack?

Actually, it depends on where you're going. If it's a road side jaunt then it can be a thin pack (duck tape and maxi pads is an excellent addition). If it's more of a remote trip then coordinate with others to have things like what powdahound listed plus:

space blanket, scissors/emt shears, notebook, chemical ice pack, rubber gloves, and steri-strips (better than butterfly bandages).
Old 07-01-2011   #9

Shit Creek, Colorado
Hojo,
For sure on the additions for bigger trips. If there is an oar rig going, my FA kit rivals my personal gear bag. If you want to save on room for ice packs, one could carry a couple quart ziplocs and put that freezing cold river water we are all trying to keep from getting hypothermia from in them for ice packs. 40F is cold enough to fight inflammation pretty well. Just curious, why the notebook?
Also, in the mud and sand I would go with a nice stainless revolver.......
Old 07-01-2011   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Notebook is always a good idea if only used as paper for fire, to keep track of card game scores, or notes for anything that happens. It's a standard first-responder item to carry. It's just a good idea to document things, especially if it's a fatality. What you did, what others did, when it happened... Makes incident handling that much better. It'll likely go unused the entire time it's in the kit, but will be indispensable if ever needed.