Old 11-04-2008   #1
Boyertown, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2007
Kayak schools or clinics in the west

So at the end of May 2009 I'll be heading west and would like to find a job instructing, teaching or leading kayak classes and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for schools or clinics that might be hiring, that I could get in touch with. I'm an ACA certified instructor but just don't know where to get started out west, since I'm an east coast boy. Any suggestions?

cbieh589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have no idea what it takes to be an instructor here, but this is a local "school"

WCKA : Home

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #3
pnw, Washington
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #4
Salt Lake City/Steamboat Springs, Utah
Paddling Since: 2003
dude, I went to World class, it is run out of tarkio, montana, and the owner scott doherty is a stickler for perfection in teachers and coaches. They are pretty set anyway. look up Huge experiences. If your not looking into a full time job in teaching like world class or huge where you travel and live full time with the kids, I would consider finding a witner job like as a lifty at a resort and teaching for a business like CKS or mountain sports or backdoor in steamboat.
claywhiddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #5
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
no love for rag or barry??

no love for rag or barry??

Originally Posted by claywhiddon View Post
teaching for a business like CKS or mountain sports or backdoor in steamboat.
Its called a Lurk. Its what the old Norwegians used before we cut em up into two pieces
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #6
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center

RMOC is hiring kayak instructors. We are located in Salida,Co. We love to hire experienced instructors, especially if you can guide rock climbing trips as well as rafts(but not necessary to get hired). It's great pay with lots of local paddling. If your interested you can check out our website Kayaking lessons & instruction on Colorado's Arkansas River, guided mountain bike trips, and rock climbing lessons for kids & adults or give me a call for more info.

RMOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #7
Edwards, Colorado
Alpine Kayak School

Alpine Kayak near Vail, CO will be hiring for next summer.
Check out:
Kayaking jobs at Alpine Kayak School & Alpine Quest Sports

AQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008   #8
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Cascade Raft and Kayak in Horseshoe Bend, Idaho run by Tom Long is always a great option. He seems to like to hire people from all the over the place..But you would also probably have to a be competent rafting guide. Great place where in the summer kids kayak sessions happen 2-3 times a week.

idahoriverkid is offline   Reply With Quote