Kayak Racks - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-07-2016   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Kayak Racks

I'd like to know what vehicle kayak racks and transport techniques people prefer. Anything beyond the standard Yakima/Thule setups people have come up with? Gear takes more abuse getting to the river than on the water oftentimes and I'd love to know what creative means folks have come up with. Trailer hitch racks, many boats setups, long haul/permanent setups, ...?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2016   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I use the longest Thule cross bars available. Then stick a stacker bar in the middle and wrap the cross bars in the thickest foam pool noodles I can find.

Lately I have seen several dirtbag vehicles with lodgepole pine cross bars tied to their factory roof racks with cam straps.... seems like it works.
Old 09-07-2016   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Went with a ladder rack that mounts to my topper, been happy with it and feel it is better and more versatile than the Thule I had previously.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
I'd like to know what vehicle kayak racks and transport techniques people prefer. Anything beyond the standard Yakima/Thule setups people have come up with? Gear takes more abuse getting to the river than on the water oftentimes and I'd love to know what creative means folks have come up with. Trailer hitch racks, many boats setups, long haul/permanent setups, ...?

Everything you need right here.

The Art of Strappage
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #5

Flagstaff, Arizona
That old tread is pure gold. I'd love some rack schemes that protect the boats well. Bonus points available for extreme long distance transport (driving to Alaska say), and minimal wind resistance. I used to have a ladder rack, am currently running Yakima bars w a stacker, but even with padding both out my boats get beat (bent) pretty hard. Looking to save the abuse for the boofs...

Old 09-07-2016   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
You can go the custom route and be only limited by your imagination and check book. I like having beefy metal on top versus yakima rails screwed into the topper. I know people don't have issues but I'll feel better going 80mph with 5+ kayaks on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14225363_1248004361913118_7685933143836088148_n.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	12300   Click image for larger version

Name:	13876413_894755377338_1985384212908644719_n.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	12301  

Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016   #7

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I have seen that same camper shell roll cage set up but with flip out bars near the bed rail. Then a kayak was strapped right to the side of the camper shell. It was cool for short carries were you didn't want to get up on top of the shell.
Old 09-07-2016   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
I used to have a ladder rack, am currently running Yakima bars w a stacker, but even with padding both out my boats get beat (bent) pretty hard. Looking to save the abuse for the boofs...
If you are having trouble with oil canning just mount your boats on their side. I went to this a few years ago and haven't had oil canning issues since....
Old 09-07-2016   #9

MORRISON, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Out of everything that I have seen people use. The best and most efficient is an older white water rafting frame, it has the most hookups the most durability and is the cheapest way to get an all-around awesome roof rack to hold anything.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016   #10

Flagstaff, Arizona
More specifically, my setup is padded crossbars and stacker and I do rig boats on their side. For an extended road trip that could last weeks and cover a few thousand miles, my boats show a fair bit of wear from transport. My current setup, which many use, is quick, & convenient and perhaps doesn't need improving upon. If anyone has addressed the boat abuse issue with success I'd love to hear how. Any other creative DIY kayak racks are great to see too. Thanks for the responses so far, that custom rack looks amazing!