Old 12-24-2004   #1
Kayak Idaho

I'm considering a move to Idaho. Which would be better: Boise or Idaho Falls for a Class III boater?

cokayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #2
Boise's better for a lot more reasons than it's proximity to the Payettes.

I, personally, wouldn't want to live in Idaho Falls -- even if there was geat boating in my backyard.

merry prankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #3
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Boise would be better. The closest good boating to IF would be the Snake (which is pretty darn good) at an 1:15. Other than that, not much class III boating around close by, but there is some pretty good IV/V. If you drive a bit, you can be on the Bliss Run, Payettes, Salmon and many more. Boise would put you closer to some great whitewater. If skiin' is your winter pasttime, IF puts you closer to Jackson, Teton Pass and Grand Targhee. Ask if you have any questions.

dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004   #4
Boise, Idaho
I have expressed my opinions a million times on this forum about Boise (folks are probably sick of it). It is good here. I have a friend that lives in Idaho Falls and he comes over here to paddle in the summer. I think there are more options for paddlingin this area. The boating community is pretty cool and tight knit here as well. You could do a search with my user name (IDSurfer) and Boise to find a bunch of my rants about the paddling in Idaho.

Hey Claire, word on the street is we may see you up here again!

ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004   #5
Originally Posted by ID Surfer
Hey Claire, word on the street is we may see you up here again!

Hey Cory,
Yeah I got the job and am moving to Boise in February! Looking forward to it. Thanks for adding to the warm welcome at Tor and Caitlyn's when I was out there! Also, thanks for your posts back when I posted asking about Boise a few months ago

Hey could you spread the word... I'm looking for a month-to-month rental (me and my mello labrador) starting early to mid Feb... while I settle in and look for a house to buy. I can be reached at or cell941.350.7650.

Thanks, see you soon!

cokayaker... Boise/Idaho seem pretty great - I'm moving there from Boulder in Feb. My impression is that there's amazing outdoor stuff of all kinds to do, including III-V paddling nearby for many more months than CO. Plus a down-to-earth friendly community, inexpensive cost of living, and fewer people. Sounds promising...
mountainbuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004   #6
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I went to Boise last year to attend the GSA (geologic) meeting for about 5 days. In that time, I met a bunch of people and made some great contacts. In the short time I was there, I must have met 5 boaters....I tried to convince them to go up and run the S. Fork of the Payette with me, but they were too busy. Those guys took me to a couple different parties and I had a blast....I still keep in contact with the folks there and have paddled with one of the dudes back here in Colorado since.

By the way...there is Class III there but more importantly, there is big water IV and V! The N. F. Payette is huge!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004   #7
If it would help to check out some pictures and video then you should check everything out below, a little Idaho Eye Candy:
Click here for article: Kootenai Falls In Montana
Click here for article: The Potato Whitewater State
Click here for an entire gallery of Idaho whitewater

Stride Stand Up Paddleboards "Tough enough for the river"
Erase The Trace Waterway Ethic "Stand Up And Make A Differance"
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote