Old 04-20-2010   #11
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Using your logic I still say displacement hulls are not for beginners - yes they may be easier to roll but isn't it better to learn to roll in a difficult boat so your roll is better?

You guys have been paddling for a long time, maybe you have forgotten what it is like to be new.
When's the last time you saw some little zit-faced 15 year old kid doing drivers ed? Now think about what kind of vehicles they are in... Not Corvettes, Ferraris, etc. They are in cars like a Dodge Neon. There's no sense in giving a beginner more vehicle than they know what to do with because they're more likely to crash and burn.

And learning to roll is hard enough for lots of people, why would you want to make it any harder?!?!?! The last thing a beginner needs is any more hurdles, and chined boats increase the difficulty of lots of things... swirling eddy lines, strange lateral currents, etc. Displacement boats are incredibly more forgiving.

More importantly, people who can't learn how to roll are the people who typically end up in IK's.

FruitSalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #12
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I learned to roll in an EZ, not the easiest to roll but it has excellent primary stability, now my roll is awesome. The first time I tried a displacement hull boat it felt super tippy and intimidated me even though I already had some boat experience.

IMO a beginner boat is NOT a creeker or displacement hull boat, why make it harder on a newb who will most likely swim the first few times out anyway?

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote