Old 05-02-2006   #1
Kayak camps

My wife and I are relocating back to colorado this july and plan to do some traveling before we start work. I would love to get her in a weeklong course similiar to the one at otterbar w/o the riverside all inclusive lodging(which she really wants to do)$$$$. I imaging there is somewhere we can RV it and get some weeklong instruction. Any feedback is appreciated seeing as she is finally interested in learning to paddle, just not from me. By the way we are coming from seattle. and will have july off. T
PS I am stoked to get back to where I can paddle in warm weather and COlo is gonna go off this year

thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #2
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Do you have any more specifics as far as where you would like to be in the state? I would suggest checking with the guys at RMOC in Salida, CO. I'm not sure of what they offer but I've paddled with a few of their trainers in the past and they seem pretty cool, I know they do a lot of instructional stuff, or did. That's the best I got at this point...

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #3
I am moving to vail but we would boat anywhere out west , idaho cali montana wyo even colorado,but since we are driving back we figured we would try to take the scenic route
thogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #4
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981

Welcome to CO. Life is great here. Yes, RMOC is your ticket. Their website is .
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #5
pnw, Washington
RMOC is good would go with Otterbar if you have the chance
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #6
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
ditto on otterbar; NOC and Endless River Adventures if you are in the SE.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #7
Steamboat/Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hands down, Liquid Skills in beautiful Beachburg Ontario on the Ottowa River, founded by Ken Whitting. Those Canadian rippers are amazing instructors. I have not taken a class, but I have been in the eddy with classes and paddled with some of the instructors. Its great to get instruction from rippers like Ruth Gordon, Joey Hitchins and Billy Harris, all of which grew up in town. Joey's mom has a great kayaker's inn, or camping at River Run is pretty sweet. My husband and I have been making a week trip there each year from CO. We love it. Great people and world class paddling. You will have a blast while she is in class. If you like playboating, this is the place! Garborator is something I dream about.
ripdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #8
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Haven't been with Liquid Skills but I spent a week with Ottawa Kayak School (Wilderness Tours) just downriver and they did an awesome job. We were there from around June 4-June 9 so we missed the busy season. If you go much later, it's a huge operation and you may feel like you want something a little smaller.

As far as smaller goes, I've been to the Madawaska Kanu Centre in Barry's Bay, ON, multiple times and it is by far my favorite. They have the reputation of having the best food of all the operations in Ontario and they are across the river from the Madawaska River so you spend almost no time in the car all week. It's a cozy wilderness atmosphere with prime boating nearby. They're staff is excellent and knowledgable (The only instructors I've had were World Cup athletes in BOTH slalom and rodeo). Dirk and Claudia do an awesome job with MKC and you will have one of the best kayak trips of your life if you go with them. It's perfect for never-evers to intermediate boaters. More advanced paddlers may get bored, so I would recommend doing the Week of Rivers if you're already a strong paddler. The link:
Pics from my trip this summer:
The pics on the Ottawa are with Wilderness Tours and all the other pics are with the MKC Week of Rivers.
Have Fun.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
It is worth looking into any female only classes. Friends of mine have found it to be a much better way to learn to boat. Women enjoy the lack of testosterone induced stupidity and bravado... also the all female groups can be much more supportive. I know NOC does (or did) these, but not sure about out west. However, it is probably worth looking into. If I really wanted my wife to like the sport, it is what I would do.
wally206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #10
San Diego and Frisco, CO
You wimp. All wives should learn kayaking from their husbands!
NOT! A couple of other thoughts, ...I too have had great instruction from RMOC, even if I have had poor experiences with their front office when making reservations, and it might be cool to take lessons in your new backyard (Colorado)! RMOC is not residential like Otter Bar, but what's not to love about Greater Salida?
And there is nothing wrong with doing a few days in the Golden play park. Last summer a few of us hired a freestyle pro woman and had a blast with a small group of kayakers who ranged from Class II to Class IV+, there was something for everybody to work on.
And Mary and Phil deReimer of Lotus, California do a great job with students ( and of course the Longs** at Cascade Raft and Kayak are unbelievable (Payette area, Idaho). Plus here are a few events this summer (clinics) just for women with Anna Levesque. I am not adamant about being in women's-only classes and have had some so-so female instructions, but for a strong intermediate trying to learn more advanced stuff, I think a session with Anna (or at least her videos), is really worth it. She has great tips on equipment, outfitting and learning moves without a lot of muscle.
From her site July 29/30 in Glenwood and Aug. 5/6 in Salida.

** rumors abound about Longs teaching a slalom/river running clinic near Buena Vista this August. If that happens, jump on it with both feet!

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote