Old 05-03-2007   #1
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Kayak bars for the roof rack on top

Ok someone first tell me what the bars that stand up on the roof rack that you strap your kayaks to are called. And since they stand up about 2ft and I have a low garage door are there ones that can easily fold down when not in use??

Makes, models, websites?

Thanks a bunch guys and gals!

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #2
Gnarnia, Colorado
Kayak Stacker Yakima: Product

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #3
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Thule - Kayak Stackers (or home-made)

Check out both the Thule and Yakima kayak stackers. You can lower the Thules when not in use - I don't think you can lower the Yakimas. REI should have both on Sale as of today for 20% off (or maybe just one brand).
The Thule stackers are around 18-20 inches tall - not quite as tall as my kayak (Jackson SuperFun) on it's side. I fit thru the garage door easily w/ boats on top w/ my Volvo car. W/ an SUV I wouldn't fit.

A cheaper alternative to Thule or Yakima is to build your own using 1/2 inch pipe, floor flange and U bolts, top it off w/ the T pipe fitting and you're good to go. Less than $15 for all at Home Depot/Lowes - and bomber tough. Screw out the pipe when not in use, leaving the flanges bolted to your bars.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007   #4
IF you're in the market for a whole roof rack i'd recommend the thule, because YAK bars are round and boats tend to slide off easier before they are strapped down leaving dents in cars, heads, and ripping off sideview mirrors. Thule bars are square. Either stacker is similar and serves the same purpose.
JRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #5
Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The Yak Kayak stacker rotate down if you have Yak bars. Otherwise you have to take them off.

I agree with the Thule's square bars are more stable than Yakima's rounded bars. But I don't like the bulk of Thule's kayak stacker, they take up way too much room on the rack with my small car.

So I have the Thule bars (square) and the Yakima Stacker posts. I can get 4 boats on my little tiny car, or two boats and a Thule box.

Yakima makes most of their items convertible so they work on either square or round bars.
You ARE a soul, you HAVE a body.

rockinRio is online now   Reply With Quote