Old 12-12-2008   #1
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
kamchatka project

This looks pretty cool, anybody know anything about this?

The Kamchatka Project: Exploring the Wildest Place on Earth

Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #2
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I thought there was a film in the Banff mountain film festival a few years back about some kayakers going to kamchatka. Maybe it was just near there, not sure. It's supposed to be an amazing place, a friend tried to organize a ski expedition/trip there with a bunch of us, but it never materialized.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #3
Evergreen, Colorado
Quote from the website: In summer 2009 an international team of 6 kayakers will travel to Eastern Siberia to explore three unknown rivers on the Kamchatka Peninsula.

The team is in the midst of discussions with conservation groups about how to assist in their efforts to secure Kamchatka as a global stronghold for wild salmon and the ecosystems that depend on them.

It's interesting that they planned the trip to Kamchatka FIRST, before actually figuring out the environmental reason for the doing the trip.

So basically these guys don't really have any sort of environmental or scientific mission or qualifications. Just a bunch of guys who want to run a remote river, creating a quasi-scientific reason to float it, then use that to get people to donate money to them to pay for the trip?

Ya gotta give them credit for the approach.
kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Yep, that was my conclusion after looking at the (very nice) website. The "team" wants to go score some very cool first D's... and package it as a "scientific expedition." Well, there are plenty of threats to Kamchatka's rivers and salmon runs and grizzlies, but these guys should have done a better job pitching the enviro-research/PR/putting-Kamchatka-in-the-news angle(s). They'd have a few more donors than the current mom 'n' dad list on the website.

I'll be the Minister of Propaganda if I get to go for free!
You can never step into the same river; for new waters are always flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus
DurangoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #5
Evergreen, Colorado
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it this way.
kevdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #6
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Well of course they want to score some kick ass first d's in a remote, incredibly beautiful, and pristine place. Isn't that what all boaters dream of?

So it has transpired into a larger cause....good PR for the boating world in my book if they do it right. Maybe they didn't start out on the right foot, but they seem to be trying. Positive approach is that they may actually be able to do some scientific good and/or provide some valuable information to mentioned conservation groups after their expedition. As you all know, we as boaters are priviliged to see certain areas that are otherwise inaccessible.

Can't blame em....the first thought on a boaters mind is's turned into something bigger and they seem to be making the effort to have the strongest positive impact possible.

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote