Old 07-01-2008   #1
Denver, Colorado
Just getting started, need some direction

Hello mountain buzzers! Name is Matt, I was born in Wyoming, came up to CO when I was 3. I love the mountains, outdoors, and anything to get the adrenaline going. I love to snowboard in the winter, but am needing an active summer sport (golf just doesn't cut it). I've been whitewater rafting a couple times and loved it, so I want to get into kayaking, it's been something I've always wanted to do.

Starting my research I'm realizing there is a lot out there in terms of equipment and things to learn. If I had to choose a boat now it would be some type of river runner, but without ever being in anything, I don't want to pull any triggers yet.

So before I blow money on any equipment I figure it's best that I rent equipment and take some intro classes somewhere. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to learn to kayak that is priced well?

I'm also overwhelmed by all the different pieces of gear that are needed for the boat, is there a good link or doc someone can point me to that outlines everything you'll need besides a boat and paddle? Ie, skirt, throwbag, etc...

If anyone has extra equipment and is willing to show me somes ropes on a weekend that would be awesome too, I could donate for your time and use of equipment.

Thanks ahead for the help guys!

Parsonsproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #2
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
There are five essentials to Kayaking that you have to have:

Helmet (make sure you buy this new, everything else can be used)
PFD (life vest)

In colorado you pretty much need to have a drytop as well.
Ohter pieces of equipment you can pick up later and are not necessary when learning. Throw bags are always good.

If you live in D-town call up Confluence about who has lessons, I don't know if they do them themselves.

Poudre River Kayaks is also a good front range school (Fort collins/Poudre river)

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
2nd the recommendation on Confluence. They are good guys and you can take their 2 day class, demo some boats each day, etc. They will give you a coupon afterwards for 2 more full day rentals of boat and gear so you can go out and practice your new skillz on your own. Worth the investment.
JohnHemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #4
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Confluence offer's Intro lessons every Tuesday night and every weekend. No experience necessary, All equipment provided. 303-433-3676. Jason
baguaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #5
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey Matt

I teach private lessons if you're interested. I'm ACA certified (the industry standard instructional cert.). I have taught for several schools and companies in the past.

I'd love to help you get started! If you'd like references let me know. I have a nice line up of boats as well for you to learn in.

Let me know!

LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #6
Indian Hills, Colorado
Everyone gets into the sport differently. Here's what worked for me:

Took a roll lesson in a pool: $30

Decided I'd give it a go and bought out an ex-boater's gear: $300
Old Dagger river runner
Two paddles
Spray skirt
Spray jacket
(Just ask around, I bet that one out of 10 households in Denver have a full set of whitewater gear collecting dust)

I paddled around Union Chutes and on lakes to practice my roll. Swam lots. Got many good tips, encouragement and gear retrieval from experienced boaters.

The I met some boaters roughly at my entry skill level. Started to get on rivers: Foxton and Deckers. Swam lots. Nailed a few combat rolls. Gained confidence. Ran more rivers with more hooked.

Check out this site, perfect for your needs: Kayaking Information

I say, buy a full set of used gear cheap. If you like the sport, you'll upgrade your gear and sell the used gear for roughly what you paid for it. If you don't like the sport, you can use your PFD to hunt for those damn lost golf balls.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #7
Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info on the gear. One of my coworkers is a big kayaker, he actually referred me to these forums, and he recommended confluence as well, so it sounds like they are the place to learn.

I knew about the Tuesday night sessions but didn't know about every other weekend, work has me on a 2-10pm for the next month to help fill gaps so I'd have to do a weekend session or wait until August.

Liquidguy I'll shoot you a PM you to discuss your availability and pricing.

Thinking ahead here on another note, I've got a smaller sized 4 door car... both back seats fold down but I don't think that I can fit a boat back there. Is a rack my only option? Any good ones other than thule?
Parsonsproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #8
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
i rock a Yakima on my civic and can put six boats on easy with paddles outside too
970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #9
pnw, Washington
Jackson superstar fits inside my wifes civic with the back seats down.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #10
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
If you get a used kayak, watch what you buy... I bought an older kayak for cheap and thought, whatever I'll just learn on it. Big mistake, it was a death trap. I dumped it immediately. I'd stick to boats that are only a few years old as on two or three. A Wavesport EZG is a good beginner boat that still allows for some playboating. A Jackson "Fun" series is another. An EZG should run like $300 to $450 used.

schubutt is offline   Reply With Quote