Old 05-25-2008   #1
Axton, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2005
June Water Temps.

Coming 2000 miles to Glenwood Springs in 2 weeks. What would you guys recommend wearing. Shorty Dry top and trunks or full Dry suit? My first kayaking trip to Co. Thanks Russ.

VARIVERPIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Depends on the rivers you are running, I would guess that a dry-top and good common sense will be your best bet. If you are going to be running high altitude creeks the drysuit might be the choice, but otherwise you should be Ok with dry-top as long as there is no extended swims

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #3
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
Bring both and you will be prepared if it decides to snow or blaze with sun.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #4
Axton, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2005
I think I will bring both. Not sure what runs I am going to do. I think crystal mills falls looks neat and not far from where I am staying.
VARIVERPIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008   #5
Water is always pretty cold here. Everyone almost always has a long sleeve dry top. The only thing we change is the thickness of the thermal layer under the dry top. It can be a thin rash guard, or a thick thermal layer.

I don't think you need a full dry suit. They are a pain. If you have any type of synthetic material pants, that should be enough for you to survive a long swim.

For real cold water, you want a cap under your helmet and gloves or pogies. Go to the local kayak store for those.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote