Old 04-26-2012   #1
July '12 Cataract Canyon Trip and the Lake

Hey All,

Any idea what the story with Lake Powell is this year? We are going for an early July cataract canyon trip and are wondering if we need motors. We'll have 2 14' rafts and lots of muscle to row but 14+ hrs of rowing a lake doesn't sound all that appealing. I don't have a motor but if need I'll beg borrow and steal till I get one. What are you thoughts about the late in July '12?

pcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #2
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Did Cat last year at around 8k, I wouldn't want to be there without a motor....

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #3
cedar city, Utah
Yeah, the lake is at an ugly rafting level of 3635, the highest its been on this date since 2002. Its on the rise again after dropping since late last Fall. It won't rise for long though; I would guess by early June the lake will be dropping this year. That won't equate to much of a difference by July though as it normally only drops a foot every 10 days or so. Hard to predict.

The last time I did Cat was 3 years ago and it was bad enough then. The current died somewhere below Gypsum and we had at least 12 miles of flat lake water. I would imagine the lake is somewhere near Gypsum now.

Add to that the fact that afternoon winds are almost always existent and you have a downright "fun" time. Every time I have rowed out has been in white caps. Manageable but not anywhere close to fun.

There use to be a tow company but that disappeared with lake 10+ years ago. There was talk of someone doing so again but never heard the outcome.

If ya got a motor.....bring it. The other option would be to have a friend motor up from Hite as far as possible and help out.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, cataract canyon