Old 06-07-2012   #41
Syracuse, Utah
Paddling Since: 1993
Karen, I am a paddler's wife. I am so very sorry for your loss and the loss Jon is to all his friends and family. My husband, son, and friends launched from Boundary Creek just ahead of Jon and his group last Sunday. I received a satellite call, the one nobody wants to get from a river trip, from my husband at 7:30p.m., Utah time. The second I heard his voice I knew something was very wrong. He told me that all members of our party were fine but that there had been 1 or 2 deaths above them and that they, our group, had retrieved the flipped boat. I don't know to what extent our group was involved with this tragedy, but know that many of our friends and loved ones have been praying for ALL the boaters on the trip, Jon, his family, friends and fellow paddlers. I haven't spoken to my husband since that call, last Sunday, but expect him home this Sunday. I know this experience has had an impact on him, but also know that seeing how loved these river guys are will bring him some comfort. Our family continues to pray for peace, strength, comfort, and resolve for you and Jon's family.

kahenthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #42
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
JB was a great guy, truely one of a kind. His friends & family are in my thoughts today.

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #43
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Hi Folks,

Jon's funeral with family will be Monday, June 11 in his family in Mississippi.

We have booked the State Highway Department Theater in Buena Vista for Sun, June 17 at 2pm for JB's Colorado Memorial Service and Reception. Please join us and spread the word. This is the building across the street with CKS with the big garage doors. Address is 402 East Main Street, Buena Vista, CO 81211.

Also, we have created a memorial fund for JB. We are asking for contributions to cover the costs of the river recovery efforts, the memorial services, flights for the family and plenty more. I know times are tough, but please consider a donation. Anything and everything helps. Please visit any Key Bank branch to make a deposit to the Jon Boling Memorial Fund (be aware of the spelling of his name).

Much love to all,

Please pass any and all of this information along to friends of JB.
PattyNYCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #44
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Any online donations links? Would love to help.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #45
Golden, Colorado
There is no online links for out-of state folks. Sorry. But if you would like to mail a check, you can do so payable to the Jon Boling Memorial Fund. Plenty of time to do so. Mailing address is:

Patty Pinkham
Golden River Sports
806 Washington Ave
Golden, CO 80401
Old 06-07-2012   #46
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Rest in peace, Jon.

I never had the pleasure of meeting you, but it sounds like you made a huge impact on the lives of those around you.

We can all learn from you--
Love living life and love those close to you.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012   #47
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
My condolences to JB's family, friends and all on the river that day. I didn't know him outside the buzz but always enjoyed his posts.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012   #48
boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2006
Rest in peace JB, you were one great dude. Im glad that I got to spend some great days with you. Let Morgan slobber all over whatever dinner he can find.
fireman9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012   #49
Golden, Colorado
Hi All,

I wanted to post this text from the thank you note I received today from JB's mother Margaret:

"Dear Patty - I received the check from Karen [KPump] from the Memorial Fund. There is no way I could thank everyone who donated so I am writing you. Our family costs were all covered for the trip to Colorado plus some of the funeral expenses. Please send our profound thanks along to those you know who contributed. You ALL hold a special place in our hearts. I see why JB loved you all so much! Sincerely - Margaret"
Old 08-28-2012   #50
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I met Jon about a two weeks before the Salmon Trip. He donated beers to our TL for shoveling the pass to the put in which I picked up and brought to ID for our MF trip. What a nice, cool guy. He will be missed.

"A true patriot must always be prepared to defind his country against its government." Edward Abbey
treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote