Old 11-22-2010   #1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Jefe vs Villain

So I am planning to buy a new creek boat for the upcoming year and was wondering if I could get some input. I have paddled Jefes in the past and have loved them but might be interested in switching if there's something better out there. I was maybe thinking a Villain. Should I get another Jefe or try something else? Thanks.

jerbsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #2
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't know what the rules are on piggy packing on posts around here (sorry if it is frowned upon) but I'd love some information on this too.

To those of you who have paddled the Villain, does the sizing of the boat feel as weird (big) as it looks on paper? 8'8" long and 92.5 gallons for paddlers 155-230 pounds seems huge and is unlike sizes seen from other companies.

dfindley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #3

The LG (regular) Villain paddles way smaller than it looks. I paddled one this past season and was suprised at how nimble and fast it was for it's stats. Can't comment on the Jefe as I don't fit well in it. The Jefe Grande would be more comparable to the LG Villain. Great boat also, more rocker, smaller cockpit and less foot room. Both great boats, Demo-Demo...
action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
I just got a used Villain. No chance to test it on moving water and since Arkansas / Oklahoma area is bone dry, it might be a while.

I am 6ft 200 pounds. The Villain does look big but setting in the cockpit it feels just about right for me. More like my RPM Max which is one of my favorite kayaks. I have a long trunk so the depth of the cockpit feels about right. When I got the boat the seat was all the way back and it paddled like a slug. Did some adjustments and put the seat on what I measured to be the center line and it feels a ton better. All this on flat water. Like I said, only done flat water tests so far and with the seat adjusted to the center this boat feels good to me.

I know this is not a full test feedback for you, but I suggest you find a Villain to set in at least as the boat paddles and feels much smaller when you are in the cockpit. At least that is what I have observed.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The Villain is a great boat. I paddle the L villain after coming from a jefe grande and an 8.5 nomad. Definitely worth taking the villain out for a test spin.

As for better or what you want... its really personal preference, and only you can make that call.

The specs on the villain seem large, but it paddles great, keeps you on the surface and bigger is better in my opinion. I've paddled tight, steep creeks in the L villain and it didn't feel too big for it. What folks miss is that its length gives it speed which helps you make critical moves easier. Bigger in this case isn't a liability, but an asset.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010   #6
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I managed to cram into my wifes villian s and damn it was snappy! easiest roll I've ever done. go figure, I'm 6'8", but it was a lot of fun, hope she won't notice the new scratches!
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #7
surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
The Villain is an awesome boat. I paddle the S, but suspect the L has the same character. Even though they are big volume they do not really feel like it. As with any boat, once you find the sweet spot for the seat position the boat's performace design comes alive and does the work for you. My initial mistakes were experimenting with the seat too far forward to compensate for that extra bouyancy up front and get on trim. Wrong. Even being a short guy, I found that my correct seat position (without cargo) is closer to the back than the front. The boat is very well designed, faster than most, and super stable.
No risk, no reward. It is not that we have to, it is that we get to. Preparation and education are essential to self-confidence and success. - KV
"If there is no risk there is no adventure."- Bill Briggs
Ken Vanatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #8
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
The Villain is awesome, very fast and turns on a dime. It looks huge but feels small while paddling it. I would definitely try one, you won't be disappointed
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'd say try a new boat just to mix things up. I think it's good for your boating.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010   #10
Hood River, Oregon
If you like a fast boat, that handles like a sports car- give the new burn a try- its less catchy than the last generation- I would say take all of the models for a demo paddle.

kayak2the9 is offline   Reply With Quote