Old 11-24-2010   #11
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Jefe's are great if you get them dialed up right. Not a big fan of the new Bad ass outfitting. Kind of a pain to get the seat moved. The seat cover and the hip pad "socks" are pretty useless IMO. In a perfect world it would be much easier to have the hip pads higher without interfering with the seat straps.

Would love to check out the Villian someday. Sat in one once. Probrably could fit a keg in the back. Big boat eh?

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #12
I took my Jefe and a friends new Villan out for a side-by-side try on local class IV. The Villan was comfortable and had a corky, secondary stability, like tilting the boat to a point where it felt very stable. I noticed however, that it had even less initial stability than my Jefe, (if you can believe that). Also, it seemed to mush across eddylines, without the snappy feel of crisp turns that the jefe has. I will say that it probably would be easier to just get in and paddle than the jefe, as I have the seat moved all the way forward on the jefe and you really have to drive it.

One thing that bothers me about the villan is that there is a vacuum-formed seat and cheezy, (although better than before) outfitting like all the other Jackson boats, rather than a stout rotomolded seat that you would expect in a creek boat. I'm sure this adds to the lightweight component to jackson boats but I would rather have a stronger seat under my butt.

Overall, its a big step up from the rocker, but other boats out there, (like the Habitat) are just as or more user friendly and perform better.

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #13
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Huh? New bad Ass outfitting has the notches in the plates so backband can now easy flip up. I love the outfitting. Nothing better in my opinion and the shim socks are comfy and convienient, plus they don't move around they are solid. the back flap helps keep the back band in solid position even if you are missing a bolt in half the backband. To help with access of stern, All you have to do is cut couple inches of foam away from your back pillar. The access is improved without sacrificing safety or boat integrity. What boat doesn't get outfitted? Unless you are entirely to lazy.. outfitting your kayak properly is more important than what kayak you buy.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010   #14
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
The Jefe is a boat that has been tried and tested for years and people still love it. I personally think the LL outfitting is pretty good!

But this season I paddled the Villain and I love it. I'm only about 185 pounds but I chose to paddle the large. One of my first days in it, I paddled an Idaho micro-creek (200cfs) and it didn't feel too big at all. The boat is faster than most other creek boats on the market (faster than the Jefe, Nomad, Habitat, Burn.) The speed translates into great boofing and hole-punching ability. The boat is the EASIEST BOAT of all modern designs to roll. Like all Jackson Kayak models, it seems to roll half as easy as other designs. Try it out before you disagree with me.

As long as I maintain the outfitting (tighten screws, check things out from time to time) there has never been a problem with the seat. The boat is light, but very dry. It's also a stout design, as I've abused my Villain approximately 100 days this season and the crosslink has held up beautifully.

In my most sincere opinion, there isn't a more user friendly boat than a boat like the Villain.

Favre is offline   Reply With Quote