Old 01-28-2009   #11

Everyone I know loves there Jefe's but most of them are running low volume boofapalooza style criks. I paddle a Gus and while it is a bit long for lower runs and probably doesn't boof like the jefe the Gus EXCELLS in runs like the upper A when it is high, safety boating,(super fast and edges like a mofo) and other things you wouldn't want to play on. I think if you are the kind of boater who runs the Gnar in your Jefe, you can probably handle big water in the Jefe. But, if you a. can afford to have a creeker and a gus, or b. don't intend to run super steep low CO creeks. You might want to consider the Gus. There are lots of them out there for pretty cheap, but usually pretty well used(that should tell you something). I'll sell you my broken one for 900 dollars and then buy three more for my quiver.

"keep your ugly, goldbrickin ass out of my beach community"
-the police chief of malibu

chiefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
my 2 cents...I have owned 2 Jefe's. I found them extremely hard to roll. I called L.Logic and found out that at 200 pounds I was way over the desired weight. I have since owned 2 Jefe Grande's. I wore one out! Not knowing your weight, if you are over 165 pounds, I strongly urge you to look at the Grande. I think ths is by far the best creeker I have ever paddled. Now, here is my opinion..if you want a creeker, then buy a creeker, if you want a river runner, then buy a burn. Although a lot of people creek in a burn, I find it too fast, it does not have enough rocker for quick eddie turns-the bottom of a Grande is like a banana-12 inches of rocker in the front and 10 inches in the back! It also has the large volume to keep you riding up on top of the wave trains and not punching through them. I think the key word is DEMO, DEMO, DEMO and not just in the pool! everyone fits boats differently!

colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Keep the Huck in mind too, since they don't make them anymore you don't see too many, but they are a good creeker/river runner. I use a Jefe for big water and creeking and it definitely keeps you on top of things, and punches through holes with ease.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #14
jefe as a river runner

I'll just beat this dead horse by adding that I have owned the Gus, Jefe, huck and Remix and can say that The Remix is the way to go for big water/ river running. It has speed, stability just enough edge to keep you going the direction you want to go and enough volume and rocker to stay above the waves and melon seed through holes. try one out. Its like cheating...

shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote