Old 09-29-2009   #1
acton, Maine
Paddling Since: 2002
Jefe fine tuning

6'2"- 200 lbs. Class 5 creeking for a couple years now and am still looking to find the happy medium in this extremely nimble boat. With its seat in the center it boofs better but is hard to control the resurfacing, finding me slowly tipping over on exit from holes and backwash. Moving it forward seems to make it more sluggish. Any compromise? Thought of trying the Grande for my size but if these designs have such little primary stability I'd be concerned about trying to control even more bow volume. Getting a little frustrated with acing the line and still flipping and risking my head in the runout.

actonplayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
I would think the jefe grande would be a perfect fit, have you paddled it? I personally think the jefe resurfaces very quickly. Maybe try getting a bit farther forward as you come/stroke thru the hole. you might be leaning back to much and not using your low braces enough? Hopefully you can get it dialed in before next season, sounds like maine has some great paddling.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #3
acton, Maine
Paddling Since: 2002
The seasons are pretty short up here. Paddle dodging ice chunks or the water will be gone soon. No spring snowmelt this year but heavy warm water rains in June/July. Better than March/April I guess; wierd year. Waiting for fall rains, thinking of Moosefest in NY.
I definately can't paddle this boat too aggressively. Its manuverability allows me to set angle at the last second but likely dupes me into paddling with less urgency. Looking to find a Grande demo.
actonplayboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #4
SLC, Utah
6'2" and 235 with drytop and pfd, add a little more for a wet throw rope and a pin kit. I am not a great creeker yet, working on it (took a swim saturday on a IV+ run) typically run IV- to IV (but am trying to push into that solid IV+ and V realm, you out there c-dub?) I bought a Jefe grande last year and it was probably the best thing for me to step up my boating. I moved the seat about an inch forward and felt like I gained maneuverability and never slowed down. The Grande has enough rocker that the extra volume was never an issue. I would recommend giving it a try, now if I could just get my technique up to par with the boat...
pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote