Old 05-20-2005   #1
Java vs Huka?

Any opinions on the Java vs the Huka? Kind of torn between the two for my next creek boat. Feedback on performance, durability, packability?

mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #2
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993

I've heard good and bad about both and would say it depends on your weight mostly. The Java is probably faster and the internal framework is incredibly solid but if you're over 160 it'll probably start to get pretty pokey.

MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005   #3
Ski Patrol
The Java and the Huka are both made for tight steep creeks. I have been in both boats quit a bit. The huka by choice and the Java because there was nothing better around. I feel that the Java is slower than it may look. It seems like a tug to me(160lbs). It does stay on a straight line though. However when it gets off line it does not seem to want to pivot very fast for recovery. For me the Java also lacks bow rocker. The boat is somtimes hard to keep on top. Also kinda pointy in the bow. I do like the outfitting and innerstructure(very solid plastic consol). I feel that the Huka has a bit more to offer the steep creeker in the mid sized range. Good hull speed, bow rocker for resurfacing, comfortable outfitting, and solid safety features. Also check out the M233. That is my second choice for creeking.
I hope that this helps. Do check out both of the boats to se what you think. If you are interested in a Huka demo give a shout to me or one of the other Bliss-Stick Agents near you.

good luck

Mike Hagadorn
Summit Bliss-Stick Agent
970 547 8124
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote