Old 01-25-2009   #1
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Jackson's new Kayak

Jackson Kayak - Kayak News, Kayak Photos, Kayak Videos and Kayak Stories

I want one!

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #2
Indian Hills

Looks fun but, for twice the price? That is a lot of plastic

With cunning skill like a duck walking a tightrope at night
miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #3
I'm curious how easy it will be for one person to roll the boat with no help from the front. Does the person in back have to be a class V kayaker?
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #4
Davis, California
i think it really just depends on the person having a strong roll and the other person getting down.

two anecdotes. i knew a guy who rolled his topo duo with his wife in the front despite her pulling her skirt, granted she was like twice her weight.

when i went sea kayaking in baja, people were seeing how hard it was to roll double kayaks. pretty easy with two, people were able to get it with one also
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #5
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Basil, I haven't tried the Dynamic Duo yet, but I have seen guided Topo-duo trips on the river before. The guide sat in back with the custy (usually a complete beginner) in the front. From what I saw, the guide didn't have much of a problem rolling the boat as long as the custy didn't do something counterproductive, like trying to roll on the opposite side. I think the general instruction to the custies was to "tuck up until you're able to breathe again."

So, to answer your question, class V skills are not required, especially if both paddlers can already roll and you make a plan on how to do it ahead of time.
"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #6
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Phlying, you are very correct. I am out at the plant now in TN and although I will paddle it myself tonight, I have watched others paddling it with newbies in front. According to Clay Wright who was with his non paddler girl friend in front, it can be rolled just fine with only the rear person rolling, but once in a while needed an extra brace-up to wrap up the roll. He also said that with very minimal assistance from the front paddler, it was super easy to roll up perfectly.

As long at no one is providing actual counter productive actions (not leaning forward against the deck, picking head up too early, etc...) you are good to go.

FYI, it apparently is SUPER fast and can attain upstream eddies like nothing else. In addition it surfs the upper waves of Rock Island perfectly!!! It's really fun to surf with your buddy in the same boat.

All indications are pointing toward this being a fantastic way to paddle with others that will never make that jump into their own boat. I have a huge list starting with my wife that are stoked to go with me, but not on their own.

Onwards and upwards!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #7
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have a friend with a topo-duo, we ran deckers and he had his son in the front. The only time they swam it was because the kid forgot to tuck his paddle to the side - sort of hard to roll with 2 blades sticking out the sides!

Other than that they rolled up fine and surfed even the tiniest of waves. It was fun to watch, I think we went down Statebridge with the topo-duo too, really gets peoples attention.

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote