Old 08-23-2004   #1
Jackson This Weekend?

I'm dying for a big wave hole.
Does anyone out there know if Kahuna is going?

BHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #2
I was up there last week and truthfully it wasn't worth the drive at that level. I think it was just under 4000CFS when we were there. Taco was an ugly pourover (very low) & Burrito was a small wave you couldn't do much on. Kahuna had a catch on the fly wave near the middle/top of the drop, but it was hard to catch & not worth the walk back up time & again. Everything in between was FLAT water. Pretty senic though.

We stopped at Green River on the way up & back and spent about 8 hours playing in there. Right now it's a slow feature but fun. We were talking with some of the town officials who handle the WW park & event up there and they were going to be doing some modifications to the hole for this weekends event. They've got a bunch of concrete blocks on the shore that are going to be put into the river to make the hole more retentive & faster.

I'd hold off on Jackson till next year & go to Green River instead...or to Montrose.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #3
thanks twitch. I guess go get scared at M wave and head to Green River for mellow play. Could you hit aerial moves in green river hole? Loops, godzillas, mcnasties ?
Old 08-24-2004   #4
Tricks successfully done in GR hole that week. Loops, Godzillas, Lunar Orbits, Phonix Monkeys, etc, etc. It's a pretty good spot, a bit slow but I think that'll be fixed for the event.

Oh, I was only looping. Clay Wright was in an All Star was tearing the hole a new you-know-what and showing some other good paddlers the way to do these tricks.
Old 08-24-2004   #5
what event is there this weekend?
Old 08-24-2004   #6
Powell Plunge it's called. Mostly boaters from the Front Range & Jackson. A little from Utah as well. The town worships boaters it seems so you feel pretty welcome when you're up there. Night boating by firelight, scaffolding just above the drop for photos.

Brian - Mark from the Grizzly Creek take out, talking about head trip & looking at your damaged helmet.

Old 08-25-2004   #7
i thought i had met you.

so how far is it up there? is it really worth it?
Old 08-25-2004   #8
It took us about 4 1/2 hours from Denver to get there. You're kinda stuck in the middle so far as which route's quickest. Up through Steamboat & Craig to I-80 or over to Rifle & up would be your best bets.

So far as the worth it factor maybe some others could chime in with their thoughts. I saw another thread about the event as well. Here's the link to the website about the event.

I thought it was a good hole. Smaller boats excel in it. The good spot was surfers left but that may change. If you were willing to drive to Jackson for park and play, I think you'd be OK with Green River.