Old 08-25-2008   #1
Steamboat/Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Jackson Star on Grand late September

Just wanted to hear some thoughts about taking a Star down the Grand Canyon this fall.

ripdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #2
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
are you an amputee?

I was going to be vague but then I decided to do this other thing.
acetomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
Gunnison, Colorado
Hey, I think if you search for it, you can find several threads that have the playboat vs. river runner discussion on them. I'm going to the Grand in Oct and plan to take my playboat. The best advice I got from them is "if you're a playboater and spend most of your time in a playboat, take that. If you spend more time in a river runner, take that." Pro's and Con's to each side, from what I hear.
riverrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #4
vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I think there is a trip report on the jackson web page from the grand this summer and they talk about doing the whole thing in playboats. have fun and surf some waves for me.
leesonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #5
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I just recently watched " Here and Now " and at the end of it, Eric Jackson, and 2 others kayak down the Niagra Gorge in playboats/free running kayaks. SO, I think you'd be fine goin down the Grand in a playboat. Then again, it was friggin EJ...Have FUn and be safe!
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #6
Steamboat/Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks, I just read Clay Wright's trip report and I am pumped to take my star! I better be the queen of wave wheels and kick flips after this trip.
ripdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #7
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Havin kayaked the Grand 3 out of 4 trips, each in a different size boat, (progressively smaller over a 25 year span-hence the different size boats), I would say take the playboat only if you have a strong, bomber roll, because you will be rolling whether on purpose or by accident. Those eddy fences are wicked, but also, when a 20 foot wave breaks in your face, a good roll will get you through. If you had a swim in lesser water this year, you might consider the larger boat as it will be more forgiving of your sins. This advice is all assuming water flows about 8-15,000cfs. 20,000cfs or above can be a different can of worms.
DonWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
that sounds awesome. everything seems bigger in a smaller boat, so it should be wicked fun.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Haven't done the grand, but make sure you have a boat you're comfortable in all day, or raft space available for when you're not. Also a faster boat will be able to get on some waves that a star won't.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #10

I'm taking a Super Star down the Grand in October and I am a horrible playboater, can't roll, hate big water, am 6ft 4 and just switched to a 30 degree paddle. Can't wait! Oh ya, i'm also a beer snob and will only be taking Milwaukee's Best. Bottom line, whatever boat you take, you will have a blast. Atom...

action is the enemy of thought
atom is offline   Reply With Quote