Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-17-2003   #1
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Jackson Kayak Introduces Fun to the boating world...

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003   #2
Lawyer Scum
It is so cool to see someone who has been a part of the marketing machine step up and try to take a bit of the carrot themselves. Is anyone going to carry the boats. Are they still glass prototypes, or are the demos out? Has anyone had a chance to hop in the prototypes? What are they like? Any comparisons? Don, do you have them in your shop?

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003   #3
Send a message via MSN to Jiberish
Looks good

Im personally impressed with the effort put into making one of the smaller person freestyle boat. Or one might say....Kids boat! I know when I was younger the only boat I could throw around was the jib. Boats look kewl, .....hope shops start getting em soon.
Ben GUska
Jiberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003   #4
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

I can give you some detail to your questions as I am working with Eric on several things hear locally with respect to helping establish a Rocky Mountain presence (Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Colorado).

It is really exciting times for Jackson Kayak and I think they are really onto some cool ideas, as well as, let's face some of the most innovative and best designed/built boats in the industry! As you mentioned KenC, EJ knows how to build great boats. He is in control of the whole operation and from what I have seen so far, he is doing some impressive stuff that will only make boating more FUN...

The "smaller person" kayaks you mention Jiberish, are exactly that. The first boat to be released (sometime late 1st Qtr 04) will be for kids. I think this is about the smartest idea to happen to the kayak industry in some time. I don't know about you, but most of my friends stop kayaking due to having kids... This turns the sport into a family affair and allows younger children 40-70 lbs to learn to kayak in a boat that actually fits them and is designed to get them on the right track from day one.

The adult boats will follow early 2nd Qtr 04 and YES a Creeker in the works for mid year (my lifes passion!!!).

I will be working with our retail partners (as they develop) to have these boats for DEMO at the pool sessions as early as possible. Hopefully in Feb but potentially March.

Hope this helps... feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions.

thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003   #5
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Good luck to you. Looking forward to seeing some of the designs myself. Computer generated shots don't do much for me. Can't tell anything about a boat till it's rolled and in the water (moving).

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003   #6
you know what I think. I think the fun series looks a lot like a G-ride. Maybe a cross between a G-Ride and an Air. The point is.. it looks a lot like a lot of other boats. Kayaks have reached a stage where design innovation is not so staggering. There is nothing wrong with that. Basic ski designs have not changed much in the last few years. It just means the engineers have figured out what designs work best.

But what has changed is the material the designs are made of.. and the superficial aestechtics of the products. So... Jackson Kayak... if you want to sell kayaks.. make them out of something really durable and light. Failing that.. make them in really cool colors (not neon, tastefull) with really cool designs. Like Bliss Stick. The Flip Stick is one bad ass looking boat. Not becuase it has an overall different shape, but because it has such cool designs on the sides. Do something like that.

Just my thoughts.
The best things in life are free*
*plus tax at participating locations only
silverdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003   #7
pnw, Washington
You would actually buy a boat based on color?
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003   #8
Good points, However, one of Jackson Kayak's main selling points on their webpage is that their boats WILL be more durable and light than others.
As far as graphics/ aesthetics, I agree, the Bliss-Sticks are way cool. I paddled a Huka and a Flippy for a season and liked the designs on the boats. I have asked friends who work for manufacturers why kayaks generally dont have graphics..... Basically the cost of putting a durable graphic on a boat is alot and most consumers probably dont want to pay $100 extra on an already expensive piece of tupperware.

Designs that are part of the mold like Bliss-Stick (i think) could work though.
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003   #9
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Meng, you're right. I'd rather have a sweet design that is light and durable and costs $600 than the sweetest graphics in the world at $700. Why are these pieces of tupperware so expensive anyway? Also, why do people buy new boats? I understand if you're pro and get a great deal, but I'd much rather pay half price for a boat used 10 times by some rich guy who decided dropping waterfalls is actually more scary than AMP makes it look. Sorry for the random rambling.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote