Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-29-2015   #11
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I have been sanding my newest one on the couch over the winter to get my thick skull cap to fit it. because the helmet is new and they changed the foam mold for the latest run i have to remove 2mm of foam on the inside with a foam shaper and 150 grit sand paper to get it to fit well.
Bob, I just got a sweet full face as well. It fits me almost perfectly without adding any foam, however on the sides of my head there is one spot on each side that it is just a little too tight. My skull kind of has a weird small bulge right behind my temples, and this spot is being squeezed. I'd like to remove 1-2mm of inner foam right in this spot as well to open it up a tiny bit and relieve some of that pressure.

What type of foam shaper do you use along with sand paper?

mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015   #12
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Matt, I am using a form shaper for sheet rock, dragon skin punctured metal shaper and sandpaper.

They should have dragon skin at golden river sports or confluence. The shaper for sheet rock removes long passes evenly. I use the dragon skin for sanding in pockets and sand paper to smooth it out.

You should be able to peel back the soft foam liner and sand in areas you need.

One trick I've found is to force the helmet on for 5 minuets, then remove it and with a 4" piece of chalk should show you your indentions with shading over the foam, no chalk equals a depressed area, trace with marker and remove material.

I hope this helps, we should meet up at the pool and do tricks!!

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015   #13
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The chalk is an awesome idea thanks! And I've heard of dragon skin from other people too for shaping foot blocks and stuff. I'll have to get some of that.

I can wear it semi-comfortably for a while but it starts to make sharp pressure points in those spots. I'm going to try the chalk route and then probably just some sandpaper. Thanks!

Definitely we should get to the pool soon. Only a couple months until the season is back! I need to learn a solid bow/stern stall. And get that damn offside brace dialed in.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016   #14
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I ended up with the Shred Ready full face. The carbon fit with a little room to spare. The Sweet was still a little tight. Damn big head.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote