Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-06-2005   #1
Superior, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to Lurch
Israeli Inventor figures out how to breath like a fish

Just imagine if they can shrink this thing down even smaller untill it can fit in a PFD!

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #2
Sounds great, but........

Water does not contain much oxyen. All water breathing animals are cold blooded because cold blooded animals need much less oxygen.

A device like this that works will be very, very large. The picture in the article is only for "marketing" purposes.

Welcome to the internet.

cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #3
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
not to sound too skeptical

cstork is right, the O2 level present in H20 is not all that high, hence the Naval experiments in breathing oxygen enriched fluorocarbons (breathing liquid just like you did when you were in the womb). and this has only been done with one lung filled and saturated. I am familiar with Henry's Laws enough to admit it 'may' be possible. However, that being said (even in the age of nano tech), I think we're a bit premature in the practicality department. Think of Moller's VTOL cars... he has yet to produce a viable model.
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #4
Oh, all you "nay-sayers", I say nay to you: Naaaaaay!

Think of the possibilities! Stress free class V. worst case scenario is you----wait a minute, there is no worst case scenerio. You just hang out down there and suck up the free air as you witness a day in the life of the fish. When you get bored, just raise your hand to show your buds where you are, grab the rope, and it's Miller time!

---unless you ping your centrifuse tank on a rock, throw it off balance and no free air.

But barring that, you can send beginners down the biggest. baddest, hardest whitewater you can find, because hey! Free air down there! Just suck it through the straw!

---unless you lose track of it over your shoulder or something gets kinked.

But barring that, be glad that high tech trumps mother nature yet again, and makes humans not only king of the road, lord of the skies AND NOW, (drum roll, please)... Ruler of the deep.

---unless it doesn't work.

But barring that, I think it's gonna happen. That's why I'm thinking about cashing out my nest egg, taking out a second mortgage, borrowing some money from a loan-shark and investing it all in this thing.

Come on people! Let's see that silver lining!

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #5
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
frothy water

How much effect would all of the air in frothy whitewater on the O2 concetration in the water?

I know H2O is an exact proportion, but I'm talking about the dissolved air in the water, that is discussed on the website about this thing.
"Believe me, my young friend, (said the water rat somlemnly), there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing...." -The Wind in the Willows
ZLSeth is offline   Reply With Quote