Old 05-30-2012   #1
Charlottesville, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2000
Is this it for Gore and Numbers????

I will be arriving in CO on the 13th. Two separate questions, but both refer to weather we have seen the peak flows for this season on Gore and #'s or do you think things will increase.

1)Gore Canyon? I was really banking on Gore being a solid resource during this low water season, but it hasn't even reached 700 cfs yet????? Do you think this will increase at all by the time I get out there. I am not familiar with the run, but I am really shocked with the low flows on Gore, even with the terrible snow year. Someone please enlighten me with this one.

2)Numbers? Another run I was banking on. I knew it wasn't gonna be a great year, but it is only 423 cfs now. Has it already peaked and have it seen the best we are gonna get out of the arkansas this season? Will the flow program kick in at some point and bump it up to 600-700 cfs?

vayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Gore runs off of dam release and will probably start running when the weather gets hot and the farmers downstream demand water. Usually Gore/Upper C run into October although this year we may see 1000cfs as a max flow.

Numbers is also dam released but the BOR released too much water this winter from what I gather and will only bump up to 600-700cfs in July when the recreational releases start.

You kind of picked a shitty year to visit CO for kayaking

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
Gore: probably will remain low until reservoir releases start to augment flows later in the summer. 450ish is a reasonable Gore min. BLM Kara does a nice job of providing Green Mountain Reservoir release updates.

Numbers: there's rumors of Fib-Ark June 14-17 managed flow on the Ark. During those dates, you might see over 500 in Numbers (just a guess). outside of those dates...bone zone.

Bailey: lucky thing the last girl at the dance is Bailey! the Roberts Tunnel from Lake Dillon will be supporting icy Bailey flows well into September. Look for DeepSouth's NFSP Roberts Tunnel updates on the buzz to get the scoop. In general: sunny and warm in Denver = Bailey running. Rainy in Denver: Bailey not running.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #4
Commerce, Georgia
Paddling Since: 2003

I talked to someone at CKS last week and they said regular releases would be starting in the beginning of June. We are counting on it and keeping our fingers crossed because we will be there for FIBARK and the week after from Georgia. I'm guessing it might be more a low flow creek run on some of the Ark. At least we are used to bony creeks as a regular thing where we paddle

Anyways. It's always a blast out there. No matter what the flows are there are always many other things to keep you occupied
ryanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #5
So, do you think Gore will be above 450 during the last two weeks in June? When will releases on Gore start?

Other options I am considering are low water blackrock, Upper Animas, and Cross Mountain Gorge.
Old 05-30-2012   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Just drive another 12-18 hours and go to the PNW. They have water. If you're driving that far, I wouldn't settle for Gore and numbers at bone zone flows. Bailey is the only run on your list worth paddling at current flows. Poudre, Crystal, Animas and a few others have some water but who knows two weeks from now...most likely not. My $0.02, unless you're bringing a bike in which case you may find the boating tolerable.
Chris Morrison
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #7
I agree drive a little longer to the PNW or just veer north and stop in Idaho or Montana - They have lots o' water and they still have snow left. Colorado is not gonna be worth it this year.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #8
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've done Gore down to 340 without any problem...or fun...go to PNW...if you do come to CO I'll run it with you...
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #9
Allright, driving to the PNW is not really a feasible option.

I think my options are:
Blackrock (looks good down to 250)
Gore (>340)
Cross Mtn Gorge
Upper Animas
Rockwood Box
Numbers (I hope they pump a little more water in for Fib Ark)
Pine Creek
Royal Gorge
Old 05-30-2012   #10
Poudre Narrows would be a good addition to this list. Its good fun when its low - better than some of the runs on that list - and you can easily lap it to make it a longer run. Check Poudre Rock Report - if its above 1.5 feet it all goes and is probably worth checking out. If its not above 1.5 on June 13th God help us.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote