Is there room for a new type of boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2007   #1

Is there room for a new type of boat?

I'm wondering if there is a role for a new type of boat that's half way between a river runner and a creeker.

Creekers seem to be designed for the hard core, class V, steep, manky, rocky creeks. They have the volume and the rounded edges you need for that. But, how many of us are in that elite category?

What about all the tight class IV+ we have in this state. I think you may want something shorter with edges to make them easier to turn. And you may want something without the volume to punch holes. The boat would be good for Black Rock, Bailey, Numbers, Dowd Chutes, etc.

I bet some of you will joke that's what play boats are for, but I think you want something a bit more rounded than a play boat.

River runners seem to be designed for big water, like the lower Colorado and perhaps some eastern runs. They are long and don't seem to have the maneuverability.

Comments? Does this boat already exist? Is Pyrana Burn close?

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Try out the Diesel from Wave Sport. Great for manuverability and does pretty well hole punching. The big bonus is that you can still run some hairy stuff in her too. Give 'er a try.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #3

Aw, man, that sounds like a Wavesport rep responding and plugging his boat.

Yes, I tried the Diesel. I think it is a river runner with the same problems: too long. It's also a bit wide and flat. It seems like it was designed to run bigger water, not the tighter IV+.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #4

Boater, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to regf2603
Maybe the Ammo?

I just rented a Pyranha Ammo this weekend.... looks like a creeker but shorter and a planning hull. I liked it but I didn't run anything tight in it. Maybe something to consider anyway.
regf2603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #5
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
ammo, burn, scud, deisel... they're out there.

try the Superstar, it's the best creeker I've found. (and it loops almost as good as the scud)
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to kevintee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Try out the Diesel from Wave Sport. Great for manuverability and does pretty well hole punching. The big bonus is that you can still run some hairy stuff in her too. Give 'er a try.
The Diesel sketches me out. The Planing hull makes it want to surf more in big holes than actually punch through. Kind of scary when you're not expecting it or really don't want it.
Old 05-21-2007   #7

Ft Collins, Colorado
Basil,

Interesting response. I have a Diesel, and I've done all the runs you mentioned in the Diesel except Black Rock. And you can add to that Spencer, Joe Wright, Big Thompson, middle and lower narrows, etc. The Diesel isn't a hard-core creeker, but it does well enough. And my wife (at under 110 lbs) can also paddle it, so we can do a 2-boat weekend (when we boat together, she's in the big boat and I'm in the little one). I think the Diesel is short enough, since you give up hull speed with a shorter length. I have only two issues with the Diesel: 1) it could surf better - if you catch the nose, which has a bit of a 'shovel', then it's really hard to avoid getting blown off the wave. And 2) the boat doesn't carry well (i.e., bruises my shoulder), which for me is important for "running" (or more likely, carrying) the class Vs. I think the Pyhrana H3, LL Lil' Joe, and perhaps Dagger GT fill a similar niche. What is it you're looking for that these boats don't do? I actually think the Diesel is better on the really small runs than the big water. It boofs really well, but does perhaps get knocked around a bit in bigger water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basil View Post
Aw, man, that sounds like a Wavesport rep responding and plugging his boat.

Yes, I tried the Diesel. I think it is a river runner with the same problems: too long. It's also a bit wide and flat. It seems like it was designed to run bigger water, not the tighter IV+.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #8

Seems like something out there must fit the bill

And my first thought was check the Diesel or the Burn (an no, I am not a rep for either, nor do I own either). Lots of other options as well, such as the Dagger Mamba, the old WS X, the GT, the Pyrahna Ammo, or maybe even the Scud. From what you wrote, it is hard to see what exactly the problem is with the wide range of boats that are available. Maybe you just want some refinement on existing designs rather that a "new type" of boat, because the type of boat you describe is definitely out there.

BobN
Old 05-21-2007   #9
gh

pnw, Washington
Nope, the category is covered by many boats. My choice is the burn.
Old 05-21-2007   #10

Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintee View Post
The Diesel sketches me out. The Planing hull makes it want to surf more in big holes than actually punch through. Kind of scary when you're not expecting it or really don't want it.
I've never heard anyone suggest that a planing hull punches holes with less authority than a displacement hull. If anything, it would be the length of the Diesel that would make it less likely to punch a hole.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote