Old 11-05-2007   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02
Is there anyway to salvage a leaky dry top?

Got the Ir with the latex gaskets. It was the bomb last season, pulled it out in march this year and it leaked all season. The gaskets are good so it must just be coming in the seams or through the materials. The water used to bead up and doesn't anymore which I suspect is the problem. Is there any salvation, or should I call it a good life for a top at 2 years.

C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #2
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Leaking drytop

I can't make it through a whole season without destroying a drytop, though I've never had the flow to buy a super nice one.

First, check it for leaks. It is sometimes hard to spot a hole, and even one smaller than a pea will make you clammy. You might try using a light, like a flashlight or headlamp to make this easier. I got a few from charging through a barb wire fence last year.

If you find one, use aquaseal and a patch and it will fix great. If you think the seems are leaking seal them with aquaseal too.

Even if the fabric doesn't bead off water it still should keep you dry, or mostly dry. Sometimes it will get clammy, but that's different than feeling water running down you back. I would say, if you are getting wet, and not just damp, you have a leak somewhere.

Lastly, two years is a good run. If you have the cash, you might find fixing this is just not worth the effort. Particularly if it is not a high end top. If you not a dirtbag, and have a job that pays well, just buy another. You might spend hours trying to patch a leak, so ask yourself it that is worth it to you. Especially when tops are on sale now. Alot of people I talk to recomend the high end tops. I can not afford them, so I go with whatever I can beg or borrow, but never steal. This means I go through about one a season, but I also paddle everyday from march till june, and seem to space hanging my gear up.

iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #3
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
There's some good advice here:

Old Drytop Question

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #4
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 02

Sorry for the redundancy. I am new to this forum, and still haven't quite gotten it all figured out yet.
C-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007   #5
I have to soak mine in waterproofing liquid every year and it does work. The materials solid just needs repellant refreshment. It seems like you have to do it at least once a year. Just mix it up in your sink, soak it for a bit, and then hang it out to dry (or maybe you have to put it in the dryer) Anyway, read the directions because I think heat comes into play. You can pick up the liquid at your local paddle shop and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new top every year.
dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #6
champion, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2002

you can do a number of things to test the jacket. the easiest is to tie off the wrist gaskets and fill the arm with water. you may find some leaking. you can also re-treat it per some of the threads here.
if all else fails, let me know. we can get it back here and see what needs to or can be done

rloughne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #7
Contact IR

You're best bet may be to contact IR. There customer service department is great and they can tell you what to do to restore the fabric. Also, I know of at least one person that got a brand new drytop from IR when his started to leak after less than a season because it turned out that certain colors of fabric were not waterproof and failed way too soon. IR was no hassle on the warranty. Good luck

"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote