Old 04-06-2004   #1
Send a message via AIM to mud0shark Send a message via Yahoo to mud0shark
Is the Yampa town run worth it?

I was wondering if the new holes in Steamboat are good at low levels (500 cfs) and up. I used to live there but was a moutain biker then. Any Beta would be great! Is Cross Mountain fun @ 2,000 cfs or not worth it, Ive heard mixed opinions!

mud0shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004   #2
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1991
Even though I took a lot of shit from Chunder last time I gave out the away from the front range beta, here it is. The C-hole (Charlie's Hole) is pretty decent right now. I would not say it is spectacular and not quite sure if I would say it is worth the drive from Denver. They just fixed the right bank by adding more rock and patching the leak. This is a band-aid measure until next fall when it is low enough to work on. The D-hole, built 2 seasons ago, used to be the cats pajamas but flushed last spring. It was repaired in the fall and had concrete poured in it. The problem with it is the sediment behind the hole has made this area too shallow, hence the drop is not steep enough for it to be a hole probably. We have seen it as a nice little spin wave but nothing spectacular like the prior 2 seasons. I ran cross Saturday and Sunday last weekend and it was super fun. There are getting to be some great surf waves and there are some alright holes. In many boaters opinion between 2-3 grand this is great play. So it is worth it if you come out and combine a cross run or 2 and the Steamboat hole as well. Hope that helps

HINDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004   #3
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks, Too bad about the D-hole. It was choice last year at 1200 cfs, in my opinion better than the ever so popular C- hole. thanks again for the beta, see you on the weekends

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004   #4
Send a message via AIM to mud0shark Send a message via Yahoo to mud0shark

Great me and about 150 of my friend will be up there this weekend..... HA HA! Yeah the Library/D hole was great and I was up there last year when the mighty Yampa washed it out. It's the closing weekend for the ski hill right? Maybe I'll see ya up there.
mud0shark is offline   Reply With Quote