Old 08-13-2009   #1
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Is South Canyon Wave really too low?

Was looking to run it tonight, but eddyflower is saying it's too low. Any ideas/comments on this?

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey, I don't live over there but I stalk it on the live feed and it looks like its too can stalk it on the Glenwood Springs live web cam at: Kind of creepy that the entire town is available for your voyeuristic pleasure but handy for the wave's sake!

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #3
i can only assume you are new to the area, so lets get you edumacated. the eddyflower "south canyon wave" description and gauge is for the naturally forming wave only and it is correct that the flow is too low currently for the surf wave to form. the eddyflower description is spot on, as the wave is just starting to form at 3000, is best at 3500 to 3700, and generally washes out above 4000. seem to be lots of opinions about what is the high and low end to make visiting worth while, but most agree that 3600 is oh so nice. most kayak outfitters in the area call the wave train that is always present at the location of the south canyon wave "graduation rapid" b/c it is the last rapid they run with their newbie classes before they take out.

the south canyon wave "run" is only about 100 yards long, so if you are looking for info on the common river run below GWS check out the eddyflower "grizzly to new castle" description. the gauge on this is only valid for the upper half of the run in the canyon from grizzly to GWS, as below GWS the fork dumps in and the gauge for "south canyon wave" or "glenwood play park" applies. really only two things to be heads up for below the play park, graduation rapid mentioned above and dinosaur hole. take out at either the gravel parking lot/river access at the south canyon exit from i70 (take out river right, a little downstream of graduation rapid), the east bound i70 highway pull off around mile marker 107 that has a boat ramp (take out/ramp river right, usually lots of trucks with boat trailers parked here), or all the way to the new castle exit for a boat ramp just downstream from the bridge at the exit (boat ramp river left).

edna obviously doesn't live in the area b/c her post has confused the "glenwood play park" man-made feature with the "south canyon wave" that is mother nature's damn fine handy work. the man-made stuff was designed to work at most all flows, but nature only lets you ride a few times a year.

and now you know.
river dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #4
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by river dog View Post
"south canyon wave" that is mother nature's damn fine handy work.
I don't think you can really call the S. Canyon wave mother natures handy work. It is what is left of the river corridor after WE put a intercontinental railway line and a 4 lane interstate highway through a tight canyon. Then WE put a bridge over the river in the same spot.

It's good when it's good, but right now the play wave or the All Day Wave in Sho Sho are your best bets for play.

Morgan, have you done shosho yet? If not, what time were you thinking for Saturday? I might get a pass for a few hours and make a few laps in the raft.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #5
On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
River Dog- Ya, I shoulda figured that you can still roll through with ease right now. I was just on it a couple weeks ago and was dumbfounded that it is unrunable at this point in time. Just no wave action until next summer. It is my first season out here on a kayak, so you'll have to excuse my retardation. Too much whiskey i guess.

Brendo- We are running Shosho tomorrow, and if all goes well we plan to lap the hell out of it. I've got a Jackson Rocker on Demo for a day or two, so we are hoping to get as much Class III as we can out of it til I have to return it. But I am looking to hop into my Dagger Juice and try it out on a wave or two. I'd like to get on the All Day Wave, and maybe the smaller wave at S G-Wood.

Thanks to both for the heads up.
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote