Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-18-2015   #1
Mount Olive, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2013
Is Liquidlogic's lil joe alright for a first WW kayak?

I have experience with rapids with recreational kayaks. Class I-III. I'm wanting a whitewater kayak and I found a Lil joe cheap. So will it be fine for a first whitewater kayak?

kmherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #2
It depends mostly on your size. Assuming you are on the smaller side of things, I think it's a great first boat, especially if you found one for cheap and can fit in it. If you are larger, you may want to wait. Having a kayak be too small will not only be uncomfortable, but will be a little "squirrely" (tippy, won't respond as well). I squeezed into one at about 5'7 150lbs and it was about as tight as I could go in a kayak. If the size is right I thought it was a fun boat and pretty forgiving. It's an older model but it's more about what feels right to you than anything.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #3
That is a good learning kayak for a smaller person, if the price is right <$350. I've put beginners in a Lil' Joe and they've done well. It's got good primary stability and isn't bad to roll. Secondary stability is a little tougher for beginners, but you'll figure that out with some trial and error. You can also advance with it too as it has an edge and is pretty good for surfing. I'd say go for it.

Edit: Didn't see Paul had already answered you. So I'll say something i wouldn't normally say - listen to Paul.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #4
Ditto, depends on your size. I have some that we have been teaching beginners out of for 10+ years. I can paddle one a 5'10" and 175 with size ten feet just fine but this would be a top end for a beginner. Ideally you would be between 110 and 170lbs to learn in it. Much bigger and you would start to get a little tippy
friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #5
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have one and I'm 5'10 and 150lbs. If you are the right size and getting a good deal on it go for it. It is a fun boat.
Make sure you check for oil-canning unless you are getting a really good deal on it.
RiversRohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #6
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
I'm 5'9'', around 180 lbs, the Lil Joe was my first whitewater kayak and I absolutely loved it. I had to sell it to accommodate my move to Vietnam but if I hadn't, I would still own it to this day. Never took it creeking but does great both in big water and small technical streams. Very stable and forgiving and fun!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015   #7
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
My first boat was a LL trigger (the baby version of the LiL' Joe). It was a great boat to learn in. In fact - sometimes I wish I still had it.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote