Mountain Buzz banner

Is Lawson too low?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DanOrion 
#1 ·
Is Lawson too bony at this level? Is it worth it? Can't venture far from home as my wife's about to pop.

#5 ·
Hey IceCold,

As of right now it is just above 200 cfs and that is pretty much a minimum for Clear Creek. The park would be fun to fool around in but it sounds like you are looking for some river running.

At this level I wouldn't do anything but Black Rock because anything that isn't narrow and channelized is ass-dragging boat abuse. At this level Black Rock is OK for someone who is comfortable in IV. Some of the in-between is horribly scrapey but Black Rock, the Narrows, and Rigor Mortis are still fun.

Rigor Mortis is probably IV+ and there is a punji stick log sticking out of the top left but everything else on that run should be OK for the intermediate level boater right now. It is as friendly as it gets right now.

If you have never tried Black Rock and want to then maybe I could show you down today. That offer is open to anyone who is OK in class IV, has safety gear (throw rope and knife at a minimum) and wants to see Black Rock. It is not real Black Rock at this level but at least you could see where the rapids are and learn the lines.

This is probably my last day on Black Rock unless it rains. I'm meeting Cliff at the green bridge at 4:30. The green bridge is the top of the lower run, bottom of the Black Rock run... at Rigor Mortis rapid.

#6 ·
Thanks for the offer and it is tempting as I have always wanted but never have run Black Rock. I haven't run anything much harder than Numbers, lower cc or lawson. I have all the safety gear and haven't had a swim in a couple years too.

Unfortunately, I need to be off the river by about 6:00 pm so I don't think I'll have the time. Maybe next year.

#7 ·
Sounds good.

Hit me up at the beginning of next season. It can come up quickly so try to jump on it below 300 to see if it is the type of thing you are looking for. If it is then you can hit it until it is too much and then wait for it to come down again.

If you fall in love with Black Rock like I have then I suspect you will snap that no-swim winning streak before too long. The undercut at Black Rock and Mr. Bill are good at doing that.

#10 ·
Oh dang... that's too late for me today. The next day that I'm headed up there I'll post to "Trip Planner". Maybe we could get a group of people together that haven't run Black Rock yet in the interests of adding some excitement to a low water run. I've had a blast showing a buddy of mine down Black Rock at the end of this season as he works his way into harder stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.