Old 05-21-2015   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What's the ethical dilemma? That he wants a German made boat instead of supporting an American company? Globalization buddy.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #12
cedar city, Utah
I can't imagine there is any ethical issue as long as the recipient and website are being transparent with the donors. I think many of us find the idea silly and selfish but my worldview in this case shouldn't stop like-minded people from helping each other out. I see no difference between artist having patrons and anybody else especially if they get to live vicariously through the person's endeavors. I definitely don't find much value or support for the flimsy idea of the protestant ethic that believes there is an scale of inherent value, i.e. high versus vice.

Let bygones be bygones in this case as I see no real harm to anybody.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #13
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I see the kid's request as another way of asking for gift cards for his B-day, but just not to Best Buy or Target. Let's his friends and family contribute to something he actually likes.
On the other hand, I can also see the laziness factor. Dude's not 13 with no chance of a J O B. He's got a GoPro and some type of computer to edit and post youtube a video that shows he's got TWO chainsaws and other boats. If he was in dire need of this toy, then he could sell some of his other toys. I will pass on donating to him.

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I don't think it's necessarily unethical if he's being honest and transparent. That being said, I'm not going to send him any money. I have my own boating gear to fund.
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #15
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Can't say it's unethical, but unless you have no family and are too young to have a job, you should post in bold, "total loser in need of a handout." I you work for it, I'd be willing to guess you'd take batter care of it and appreciate it a lot more. Just sayin, not necessarily unethical, but not really respectable. You have a conscious, which is why your asking.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #16
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
If people want to fund its their money they can do what they want with it. Not unethical at all.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #17
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Totally ethical, totally tacky and worthy of endless amounts of shit talking. No different than trust funding.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #18
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Need beer, whiskey, and weed. Just dumped 12k into a new rig, please donate to my go fund me page so I can afford to pull a permit.

You know, Frederick Fucking Chopin.
Panama Red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #19
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
you can ask, personally I'm not gonna give you a dime.
daledevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #20
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
British Dictionary definitions for*ethicsExpand

(functioning*as*sing)*the*philosophical*study*of*t he*moralvalue*of*human*conduct*and*of*the*rules*an d*principles*thatought*to*govern*it;*moral*philoso phy*See*also*meta-ethics

(functioning*as*pl)*a*social,*religious,*or*civil* code*ofbehaviour*considered*correct,*esp*that*of*a *particulargroup,*profession,*or*individual

(functioning*as*pl)*the*moral*fitness*of*a*decisio n,*course*ofaction,*etc:*he*doubted*the*ethics*of* their*verdict

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote