Old 04-28-2004   #21
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Just got a call from Ed again - after hiking in about two miles, he says it looks "super-low" and "bony". He thinks you could squeeze a boat through, but it wouldn't be too fun and would take a long time.

Kudos to Ed for calling in with the beta. Looks like a sewer session downtown for tonight.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004   #22
Well, I've found myself at Westcliff public library. I just left Deweese Reservoir. IT'S SPILLING!!! (Kinda cool to walk out on it with 1/2-1 inch of water flowing over the dam--on the path.) So basically, whatever the gauge reading says above the Reservoir traslates to the same below the reservoir, give or take time for the water surge to hit the dam. I'd say the next time the gauge reads 200+, get on down here.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004   #23
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
thanks Ed for hooking us all up with the beta!! maybe next week

so what caused those spikes up to 200 cfs?

i'm not sure what kind of weather you guys in canon city have had recently, but it looks like a recent low elevation snow storm just melted?
Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004   #24

THIS MIGHT BE A POSSIBLE EXPLANATION. we ran the royal gorge on sunday. when we left the front range it was snowing the whole way from the springs to 5 miles before canyon city. I have done the gorge for the past seven years and never seen any of the washes flowing. on sunday there were several waterfalls and even the chute that goes over the tracks just before the narrows (or dire straights or maybe you know it as the squeeze box) had a few cfs flowing under it. long story short there was a lot of groundwater flowing that day. when we passed grape creek it looked pretty low, best guess 30-40cfs. my theory is that the "bubble" hadn't hit the confluence yet. hope this helps shed some light on it.
best regards
BEANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #25
Golden, Colorado
anyone have any thoughts on if it's going to be running this weekend?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004   #26
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Did Ya'll ever run Grape? It looks Butt-ass low again. Hope someone got on it. Let us know how it was at whatever flow you ran it

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote