Old 05-01-2006   #1
GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Is Barrel Springs really a class IV

I have read a few posts on MB that refer to Barrel as class IV. In my opinion it is class V unless it is very low.

Is it really class IV or are people just stroking their egos by sandbagging another run.

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #2
Snowmass ski patrol
I've heard thats what happens when you get soooooo good. Everything looks like its a V....

See ya soon...

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #3
pnw, Washington
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I haven't gotten around to running it yet, but its definately on my to do list. From what I've seen, Barrel is one of those runs that starts out as a IV at low flows, but quickly gets burlier and burlier with more juice. Because of the dam, the window for a "class IV" run of it is usually pretty short, as it's either dewatered, or really big. Its definately not to be underestimated, however. I have one good friend who had an "I saw God" experience in there, getting recirculated in a hole and beaten against rocks at the bottom of the river, at a medium level.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #5
Edwards, Colorado
Can't speak to the level but you definately don't want to swim it. Had the unfortunate pleasure of doing that a couple of weeks back (just the bottom section) and I'm still healing. Nothing major, just some bumps, bruises and scapes.

I'd say it was a solid IV...
outdoormikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #6
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
CO Roadside classic

Its a good run to classify on IV difficulty w/ class V consequences. I dont
think there is anything to difficult about hitting your lines in barrel, or staying in motion/upright, just the thought of losing in in there makes me shiver.
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #7
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm with ya MUT. I was looking at Barrel (forget about Upper D) over the weekend and my sphincter closed tight. I'm comfortable in the Numbers...but is sure doesn't look in the same league to me !!
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #8
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
never done it really low, but i think it warrants a class 5 [minus ?] rating.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #9
Lawyer Scum
I think with water it is deffinitely V. How can upper death be less? Look at the power and magnitude of the numerous holes and the must make lines when it is cranking. I've swam in upper death once and it nearly won. It's not tight or creeky, but I'd hang a V on it. Big water has a different effect on me then the steepest creek, so that probably factors in.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006   #10
Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
When it comes down to it, it's the consequences that really define a rapid, isn't it. At reasonable flows?, paddling it is class IV, swimming it is class V. Add them together, split the difference, call it IV+ and hope you never have to swim it. Having had the oppurtunity to swim Kirschbaum, the swim at Barrel doesn't look fun.I'd say Barrel is IV+ / V depending on water levels.

d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote

class iv