Old 09-21-2006   #1
Gunnison CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
Is a dry tech deck worth the money?

Now that it’s getting cold am thinking of buying a dry tech deck. You know a dry top and spray skirt in one. Is it worth it to buy a dry deck over a nice dry top and using my existing spray skirt? If so what brands make the best product??

Thanks Matt

Clarkzg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #2
pnw, Washington
I have never owned one but with a good drytop and skirt I never have leaks. Well in my kingpin i do but thats another story. If I understand correctly, Palm is the company that makes those.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
YES, dry-decks are incredible. I got my first one last year and it was so worth the extra money to have it sewn together. I will never go without one ever again!

The most notable thing is that they are unbelievably more comfortable than the traditional set up. There is no restriction or bunching up around the waist. And they are way drier. You basically eliminate the chance of any water sneaking up through your double tunnel. Anybody who playboats a bunch knows that that does happen.

IR makes dry-decks on a special order basis. You can also buy any new drytop and send it to Snap Dragon to have them sew on a Snap Dragon skirt. Obviously, these companies will only do this with their products. For Ex: IR is not going to sew a Mtn Surf skirt onto their drytop.

DISCLAIMER: It is not wise to creek with a dry deck. Ask anybody who has had to shimmy out of their tunnels in an emergency situation for the reasons. So, make sure you have a second set up for creeking.

Hope this helps your decision.

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Dry Decks and Creekin'

I love my dry deck for playboating. Nothing is drier or more comfortable. Just use caution in your desire to use it creeking. If you end up in a situation where a pin or branch/log is holding your skirt down then the escape from the boat may be difficult or worse. Just the idea is enough to scare me into having a separate set up. Good luck.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #5
No Way... If you play boat a lot, they are terrible. Any playboater knows that the boats now a days, including my project, LEAKS!!!! Unless you are always emptying your boat, the water will work its way up the top when you are constantly upside down, which if you are really playing, you will be. I have a few one pieces over the past 15 years or so, and I will sell you one if you want. I have a Wave sprt that is in great condition. They keep the water out, but not the water that is seeping in the boat. dry as a bone if you dont play though...or roll a lot
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006   #6
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
As I'm sure Matt already knows, the ZG does not leak. I paddle mine for hours straight and the bottom is still dry. Which makes me wonder why a dry deck is ever necessary. Its not the skirt/drytop seal that lets the water in. Sorry your Project leaks but the ZG is a better boat.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006   #7
Whatever...the ZG is not close to the projects full play abilities...paddled both tons..
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #8
I used one for 5 years and loved it. You do need to make sure it has the inner tunnel. The one a friend of mine got from IR did not and it he got wet. My old Bomber Gear one with the inner tunnel kept me dry. I do not have one now simply because I have not found another like the Bomber.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006   #9
outdoor bum
Dry Decks freak'n ROCK,
Just wish my dry deck fit every boat I own.
I believe if you get one you will have no regrets.
Zero complaints on my Mountain Surf DD.
Good luck!
boulderite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006   #10
I've to one, it's ok but I wouldn't buy another

It's nothing special, I wear it in the summer only. I don't notice any difference in comfort between it and the drytop/sprayskirt combo.

wheels78 is offline   Reply With Quote