Old 07-04-2013   #1
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Intro to the Big South?

We should put together a newbie day for the Big South...kinda like the black rock day? I've been waiting to get on that one! A guide charge would be like all newbs bring a 6-pack to be divided amongst the vets! Midweek next week?

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #2
I'm in! Six pack in hand!

Ryanrugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Sounds like a shit sandwich with deep shit sauce. Unless the portage routes really need that much trail don't know the run and act like its black rock. Kick your self in the balls before I have to drive their and do it for you. Asshole
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #4
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
The Joy of Boating is discovering the River and Yourself. If you have to have a guide it should be because you are unaware of where the put in and take our are or how to avoid the property owners who look at boaters as targets. Running a river with a point to point instruction set removes the joy of discovery.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #5
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Mountainbuzz strikes again! Fuck yo ideas and you! Sarcasm aside the haters sort of have a point and the way the flows are this year I doubt this will be the season it happens.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
This does sound like a terrible idea. Big South is a lot different than Black Rock. The best way to do it is to find a friend who's willing to show you down. You can definitely do it with no guide as well. The top half is completely pool drop and especially at low water the lower half has tons of large eddies. I've run a number of rivers/creeks where the descriptions said "guide recommended" and been able to do them completely safely by taking it slowly and carefully. In fact, most of those have gone done as some of my best times on the river. It's a great experience to figure out a run for the first time yourself.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Intro to Yule (all crafts and skill levels welcome) and Upper NSV Lemmings Fest (June 2014), it s all good there will be safety ....actually agree with KSC -exploring it (not necessarily Big South) yourselves (solo or small group) is more fun and adventurous just have a good idea what you are getting yourself into..don 't want to get in over your head too much, just a little....pool drop, .not boxed in, kinda low, an intermediate /advanced boater can survive runs with more serious stuff with portages...get into otherwise inacesssble spectacular areas and boat what you can...
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #8
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Probably not a good idea. If anyone is that anxious and can't find a guide they could always hike in there. I know the trail from the take out goes all the way to cool world (bottom section). Not sure it goes to the top bit I bet it does.

Hike in 1 day, if you're ready after that then go rally your group. That's how a few of us have approached it.
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #9
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Mike...I guess you prove the old saying that "common sense ain't so common anymore!" Please do us a favor and learn to read AND comprehend before speaking.

If you didn't know Big South is NOTHING like Black Rock...and nobody said it was (hence the "and comprehend" statement). The suggestion that someone said find some friends who have run it is what I intended. But for people without a core group it would be nice for them to join a goup if they have proven skills...Mike, you could even join my group if you felt up for it! If you didn't take it that way (Mike) then please don't reproduce.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013   #10
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
don't mess with the doctor hillbillies. big south huh ? whos gonna lead the charge ? big boy pants - anyone ? didn't think so. were pushing it and going big, stay on foxton and air up your ducky.

Skillkilla is offline   Reply With Quote