Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-22-2015   #1
Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
International Kayaker Packing List List and Tips?

Hi Buzz Friends,

I'm researching writing a resourceful packing list blog and email for nomadic kayakers. The Kayak Nomads Packing List will be emailed out to Pucon Kayak Hostel kayakers and I'll publish within a blog. I'll use travel tips and suggestions posted here.

Goals of packing list:
A. To create a resourceful tool for kayakers traveling for both the first time and the veteran nomad kayaker.
B. To provide resourceful links for everything including airport checkin, insurances, first aid, equipment, and personal clothing.
C. Of course, a goal is to best prepare PKH kayakers for travel in Chile. With that said I realize the need to make two versions.

Thank you everyone for your experience and feedback.

Keep Kayaking.

Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #2
carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pack some swag for gifts and bartering. An old pair of capilene is more valuable in other parts of the world then you might think.
Ski bag fits a couple of paddles well, pack tight with clothes and no need to pay extra to check it.
Bring your own straps. Get WhatsApp and google earth.

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015   #3
Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
Combo locking bike cable

your straps suggestion is super important especially if renting wheels. Which reminds me of the combo bike locking cable for security.

You can string your gear through one, wrap it around your paddle, and lock your kayak. It does not take much to prevent the thieves whom would just grab something but don't have tools to cut a cable.

As far as gifts go I often take good coffee and I love it when someone brings me a bag of Starbucks. Many South American and eastern countries it is hard to find good coffee. A coffee sock is my preferred travel light brew system. Packs as small as a sock.
Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015   #4
Kampala, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2007
Agreed with whats above and just a few additions. Most of this is from the perspective of boating in Africa so not sure if all of it will be relevant elsewhere.

I live in Uganda and its really hard to get gear so appreciate when boaters bring kayaks and kit they are willing to sell. I'm assuming its that way a lot of boating destinations in the developing world.

I like to travel with a backpack that has chest and/or hip straps so I can just strap it to my chair or table when out. See so many bags stolen at restaurants.

An unlocked phone so you can get a local sim.

I also like traveling with my SteriPen so I don't have to buy so many plastic bottles all the time.

On the straps, bring long ones. At least in UG, there are few cars with racks so we put sleeping pads on top of the roof and strap all the way around through the car so 15-20ft straps are beneficial.

On travel insurance, when first looking I had a hard time finding travel insurance that would cover more than 30 days. If you are going to be boating abroad from more than that, check out Clements they have pretty reasonable prices and coverage for people doing longer-term travel. I've had my paddle stolen and helmet run over by a shuttle vehicle so really recommend insurance

Campsuds for all purpose cleaning of yourself, clothes and dishes. Its really concentrated so a small bottle goes a long way. Synthetic clothing to dry more quickly. Consider your clothes may have to be hand washed and dried and if your boating during the rainy season that can take awhile for cotton.

Not really a thing to bring but good to keep in mind is to look into the diseases you might be exposed to on the river in that country. For example, Bilharzia (Schisto/parasites) is pretty common on the Nile and several bodies of water in Africa. Myself and many other boaters have gotten it and while its easily treatable here foreign boaters that only come for a short period may have it and not even know and doctors back in the US will have a hard time diagnosing. Local boaters should be able to give you a good idea of whats in the water and how to treat so you can bring meds back with you just in case.
sko2riva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2011
Bump! Anyone have anymore input on the topic? Heading south soon and looking for all the beta I can get!
robbo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #6
Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Take the oldest functioning equipment you own and leave everything new and newish behind. Take nothing you can't part with. Leave the carbon fiber at home. Leave the '16 Jackson at home. Leave the new Stolquist at home. Leave the Tagg Heuer at home.

Forget straps. Learn to tie a bowline and a truckers hitch and take rope. The cheaper your shit, the less of a target it -- and you -- will be.

Learn and go old school.
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016   #7
Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003

travelling to NZ in 2 weeks, which will be a bit different to S.America or Africa, but still appreciate all the travel hints. The ski bag-paddle, straps, and bike lock tips are all gold.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #8
canon city, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I didn't read all the replies so this may be repeat, but Lifestraw water filter and steri pen will make clear water drinkable and both are cheap and very portable. Sometimes "bottled water" actually comes from a hose in some shops and this will make tap (or even river) water good to go.

rlins is offline   Reply With Quote