Old 05-24-2010   #11
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
sounds like you guys did an excellent job in a "dynamic" situation. this is not to be undervalued.

for what its worth (not much, to be sure) you get my respect.

and thanks for posting. i am certainly not a carnage junkie, but i am always interested in how events play out. my job is based on 25% training, 50% experiance, and 25% thinking about honest accounts of "less than ideal" encounters-and how they were handled.

no matter how much education and theoretical experiance you may have.... every shitty deal has its own special smell. sounds like you guys (and gals!) did what you were supposed to do, because it needed to be done and because you were aware that these things could possibly happen. not alot of people can say that it honestly occured to them that "experianced" boaters can have exceptionally bad days.

well done, and thanks for putting up the report.

MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #12
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just got an e-mail from his better half and she said he's beat up, but feeling a little better. Just wanted to let everyone know that he's going to be OK.
Great job with the rescue. I'm glad everything went smoothly because it could have been a lot worse if it hadn't been for you guys working together and getting him out of there. Just goes to show that no run is really "safe".

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #13
Injury on the Poudre 5/22

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the people involved in my rescue - even the ladies holding my head for hours. Without the quick response from fellow boaters in my group that day and all the service response teams I would probably be in worse condition today. Words can not express my gratitude and feelings for everyone who helped that day!

mavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #14
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Glad you are ok man and here to type the "thank you". Here is to your speedy recovery!

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #15
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Many Thanks for Kind Words About LCDRT

Folks, I just wanted to express sincere thanks to all for comments about the Larimer County Dive Rescue Team. We were conducting a Swift Water Rescue Technician class on the Poudre at Watson Lake when this incident occurred and immediately pulled all personnel to respond so rapidly (hence most of us were still in our wetsuits!). This mission went excellently from our perspective as Poudre Fire Authority arrived first on-scene with two of the most exerienced Swift Water Rescue Technicians they have (both are SW instructors and members of our team also) and assumed incident command. The Larimer County Sheriff's Emergency Services, the ambulance service, Flight-for-Life out of the Medical Center of the Rockies and local law enforcement all deserve an "atta boy" also. The folks in the kayak group did precisely the right things, so many kudos to them as they were a key to a successful outcome!

I figured that this was a great opportunity to expend an invitation to anyone interested in joining our team. LCDRT is a 100% volunteer team that operates under the Larimer County Sheriff's Office providing water rescue (dive, swift water and ice) to citizens of Larimer County. Your boater community is comprised of precisely the kind of folks that we would love to have. We are hosting an open house at the Larimer County Emergency Services Cache at 1303 N. Shields, Ft. Collins on Saturday, June 12th from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and I cordially invite anyone to stop by to meet the team. Our regular team meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of each month at the ES Cache at 7:00 pm. You can find out more about the team at our web site at or drop us an email if interested at

Again, many thanks to all involved in that mission on May 22nd and I hope to see some of you on June 12th!

Jim Stewart-Dive 18
Training Coordinator
Larimer County Dive Rescue Team

LCDRT Training Guy is offline   Reply With Quote