Old 07-11-2005   #1
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Info on the Smith Fork of the Gunnison?

Was cutting tammy's out of the gunnison gorge with the BLM this weekend. Had never gone through the Gunny. Happened to walk up the Smith Fork. Looks really good. Who has beta?
This is something i would definately want to get on.
You guessed it, already planning next year!
Thanks, Johnny

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #2
the chamberlins might know. i think i herd one of them talking about it.

luke c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005   #3
Abron Cabron
Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
if you look on the gunni map in CRCII it says something about rattlesnakes, and 'the gnarliest sieve ever' and it also says to have at it if that sounds good... (at least thats my memory of what it said).
i'm definitely not saying it's not worthy, but heads up for the sieve. good luck!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #4
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
CRC 1 has a run description, if you can find a copy.
have fun!
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Took a look at it at high water

I ran the gunny gorge in late may, and we stopped for lunch there. It was running 400 cfs or so and it looked huge for the riverbed. The sieve is easily visible when hiking up the short section from the river. The entire river bed is clogged with huge boulders. From there down looked like some pretty hardcore boating way above my level, but with lines through to the confluence with the gunny. I have no idea what the rest of the run is like.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005   #6
The upper stuff runs great, then it gets heinous in there. Be carefull. Barry and I had to paddle out the bottom of the gorge with Jonathan sitting on our boats. (His boat was twisted, mangled and torn.) We made the mistake of running it really high. I would recommend running it as low as possible while still being able to float a boat.
Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005   #7
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
Thanks for the beta,
I finally got to run escalante this year and loved every second of that creek. I am hoping the gunni flows will come up for the black later.
The smith fork looks great for next year
The area is awesome, what other IV-V+ runs would anyone more familiar than me suggest?
Big cimmarron?
Ruby fork?
thanks John
floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005   #8
I think a lot of things are done for the year but Big Cimarron and the Ruby Fork of Anthracite are both great. The Ruby Fork might be the most beautiful run in the state. There is also the Bass-O-Mattic on the Cimarron, the Upper Unc and Upper Uncompaghre Gorge. The Grand Mesa Stuff is great although Leroux needs some chainsaw work. Of course the Black Canyon is an all time classic. I think the upper Unc stuff might still be running.

Tom R Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote