Old 08-22-2012   #1
x, x
Paddling Since: x
info on the black canyon of the Gunnison

I am looking for information on the black canyon of the gunnison. I have been watching videos, reading reports and looking for information.

I could use some advice, what would be a good first time level and what is too low?

how much MUST be run blind if any, and how many v's must be run?

I would apreciate any advice, or videos or trip reports you might have, or know of that i can use for information.

post any videos or advice please, i'm going to try this one....

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #2
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
Bob builds.... I know somebody that knows that section pretty dam well.... 9702751890.... Captain Black420 crested butte... In Cali getting sand kicked in my face by tattooed muscle heads right now but call me in a few....

milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #3
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Be less worried about what you have to run and more about what you have to walk. Extremely challenging portages to be done.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
600 is the minimum. Do not go if it is under 600. At low flows, most rapids are not that hard. I would compare the whitewater to Gore at lower flows, except that there are seives everywhere. You can paddle the whole run without making a class V move, but you will need to make several class IV moves above seives, and if you miss, you are going underground. Unless you are an experienced expedition boater, and I gather that you probably are not, you should only go with a guide who has done the run several times. I do not think you have to run anything blind, but if you are not comfortable running Class IV with doomy consequences on directions, the run will take forever. Also, the portage is pretty brutal. Have fun and be safe if you go.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #5
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
600 is a good first time level in my opinion, real creeky, too low to be pushy. The best advice I can think of is to be ready for a really long day, be good at carrying your boat, stay very hydrated and eat good energy food. An overnighter is harder than a one day trip and if you go with someone who knows the run well and moves fast it can be done efficiently, hell Jakub and another guy did two runs in a day. You can portage almost everything.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #6
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Yea, and that other guy seems to be about ready to get married, put one or two on the ground, and really get to growing out his sweater.

Bob, it ain't that hard of whitewater (portage dependent), but you're gonna run some really dangerous rapids after difficult portages with a loaded boat. The first day on your first time will beat you down. Get a really early start, stay hydrated. Definitely need a guide.

The whitewater doesn't have to be harder than gore/bailey, but I wouldn't go unless you consider yourself very comfortable on those runs.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #7
Boulder, Colorado
If you are experienced with expedition paddling or want to get into that kind of paddling this is a great test piece. But if you are just looking to get in there and have a good trip in a cool place maybe a guide would be better. I recommend an overnight adventure, it is such an amazing place. As mentioned above me and jakook did 2 laps in a day with lap #2 coming in around 4 hours or so putin to chukar hike out, so it isn't that long of a run.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #8
GWS, Colorado
Tom, proud work on the double lap with the Czech. 4 hour second lap? That's rugged. Did you route great falls from the top to save time?
Shitouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #9
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
I plummeted on Warner trail that day but will get my double run in this season... Flows will hit 900 by october( emails from the men in green).... I underestimated the heat factor that day and went into the first stages of heat stroke.... 2 laps to chukar would be easier than going out my "shortcut" up Warner... It was thrown In the plan purely for the "torture factor"....,bob builds, when was your last swim?... What was he cause? got my number if you want more details.... Skikayak365..... Been in twice this season..... And it's just getting to be the season.... Have you had the itch yet? Run your little boat in there yet? Got some solos under your belt yet?..... Just wondering... I was running that shit solo when you were collecting "happy-meal" toys from McDonald's....milozadik
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012   #10
x, x
Paddling Since: x
I think now, I need to be training harder before I go here. 2 laps on gore, 2 laps on bailey. and still plan on 2 days in the black. at 16 miles and a big hike out, it is going to be harder and longer, even going back to back days having never seen any of it I think i'm going to be zapped. I am going to keep asking questions and researching this one. I will keep talking to those who know, and gather information. Next year for sure, october november if i get the itch... er, my shit straight.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon