Old 08-21-2007   #1
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Info on Deckers?

Hi Folks,

Beginner Paddler here. I've been paddling for about two months, been gettign out twice a week and I have a decent roll. I have a Mamba 8.0 and some of my buds were talking about Deckers on Sunday. How does Deckers compare in diffifulty to like union Chutes at 950 or current levels in the Golden Playpark & Lyons October hole? I'm still a little intimidated (perhaps just good sense). I feel pretty comfortable going over the drops, still working on my surfing however.

schubutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #2
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
You should be fine on Deckers. It's not any more difficult than Union Chutes, but is natural. If you have even a semi-decent roll, I say go for it without hesitation. For some, Deckers is the first thing they run, and most do fine.

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #3
Oh, man, Union Chutes and the Golden WW Park are definitely harder than Deckers. The lower part of Deckers is a bit more continuous and you have to watch out for rocks, but the waves and drops are easier than Union or Golden.

Deckers is gorgeous.

You may be even ready to do some of the easier stuff on Foxton. That's a great area.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #4
Boater, Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to regf2603
You're fine

Hi Steve,

I think I took you down the south platte to Union for a river class?

Yeah Steve, you're fine for Deckers. Like some guy mentioned earlier, it is a nicer area than Union (no doubt about that!) and no harder.

regf2603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #5
pnw, Washington
first time down, scout the chutes, learning to scout is an important skill as well, start learning there
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #6
Golden, Colorado
I've been paddling for a little less time than you have. I've run Deckers twice and the Lower Blue once. I do live by Golden so the library hole eddy has made my roll pretty solid. But, Deckers is cake. The waves in the big chute can be pushy and the walls are intimidating. But, I haven't even tipped there and the pool at the bottom is massive if you do. Don't be'll be fine. Step up to the Lower Blue next if you have someone to go with.
smolakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
Based on Union comments, Deckers will be really easy for you. Take a good look at the chutes as you run, although it's very easy, there's a few "don't want to be there" spots that are easy to avoid. Specifically, river left above the top chute has an undercut and sievy boulder (easy to avoid) and the flake on the right side of the upper chute is a bit sievy, again, it would take a real f'up to get stuck in there.

If you don't mind some boat abuse, Foxton above 250 cfs is a good stretch to cut your teeth on. The upper part of Waterton canyon is also a good low-intermediate stretch. For Waterton, have someone skilled at chasing gear.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #8
Intern, get me a Campari.
Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Do It!

Great river for a beginner. I've been paddling for a couple of years now and still love this section. I have taken beginners there a few times now and they coast right through it. To get a good view of the river, check out this link: . Nevermind the embarrassing swim at the beginning or the OAR footage. Made this video for the friend who went with me for the weekend. It was her first time and after the whole weekend, she only swam twice. the Deckers footage begins at about the 2 minute mark. Also, type in "Deckers South Platte" on and you will find more Chutes and Deckers footage.

Have fun!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
Palirider13 is offline   Reply With Quote